fasterfaller

Medium format

I am going to buy a Pentax 645 in the next month or two . I am wondering if I should get a autofocus model or not . Where can I buy a bite switch release that will work on this model ? Will autofocus work with a release switch ? Is there any one on this forum that jumps a 645 or 645n ? Any pros or cons for either model . I will be doing some skydiving photography with it but will use it more for base . Any good films to consider other than Kodak Portra ? Any special problems with a 645 in freefall other than weight ?

I use the 645 manual focus. I have no idea about the autofocus version.

I like this camera for freefall. The manual focus version has the switches and batteries in the handle. You'll have to remove the handle and make your own triggers.

There are 5 pins inputting to the camer from the handle.

1 pos - always on for the lcd display
2 neg - always on
3 switched pos (or switched neg) to turn on the shutter button function.
4 meter
5 shutter release

You can order up the handle circuit board that interfaces to the camera and make your own "pigtail".

If you do get this one, email me and I'll send you the spec and perhaps loan you my external battery pack and a pigtail to copy.

Brent
www.brentfinley.com
[email protected]

Thanks for the info Brent . I will take you up on that offer if I get that model . By the way Brent , what film have you had the most luck with in medium format ? Does any one have an opinion on the auto focus model ? I can save a lot of money on the manual focus model but would like to hear about the autofocus model too .

http://www.brentfinley.com Check out Brents website for some great photos .

Get the manual focus Pentex 645
With the money that you will save you can buy lens for your 645. I use 35mm, 45mm, 55mm, and 75mm lens for my manual focus Pentex 645

I use the hand shutter release switch that you get from Pentax, I use a 5 pin din connector set that I got a radio shack, I have the 645 handle ( battery, on –off switch ) in a fanny pack that I wear on in my front on my belly under my jump suit, I also have the shutter release cable taped down in place so it wont come undone, I have found that the power needs to be turn of before I connect the shutter release cable together because if you don’t then the 645 will
fire off a photo as you connect the cable together

The hand release for the 645 is set up to with my 35mm shutter release to go on my left hand
with my thumb I can fire the 645 with my middle finger I can fire the 35mm

I hope this helps some
VideoToaster

I have a new toy . I found a good deal on a Pentax 645 with a 75mm lens and a 120 back for $725 . I had it checked out by a camera shop of my choosing in the town where it is coming from . They said it is in mint condition . I also found a 55mm lens for $425 new in box and delivered . I am on my way :)What other must have items can anyone that uses a 645 think of ?

I found my Pentax 645 accessories information that I got back in 1990 so the catalog numbers may have changed

You will need a power cord 645 (3meters long),
Catalog number 38451 this is the cord that you have to have when you remove the grip handle from the 645 body

Cable Switch A (1Meter long)
This is the electronic shutter release that will screw in the shutter release of the
645 grip

How are going to mount your 645?
I use the Pentax Quick Shoe 645/67 set
Catalog number 38464

For 645 lens
The 75mm lens is close to the field of view as a 50mm lens for a
35mm camera
The 55mm lens is close to the field of view as a 35mm lens for a
35mm camera
The 45mm lens is close to the field of view as a 28mm lens for a
35mm camera
The 35mm lens is close to the field of view as a 20mm lens for a
35mm camera

Hope this helps
Videotoaster

Pentax645 information from the B&H Photo web site

Pentax
3.5' Cable Switch A

Mfr Catalog # 37241 • B&H Catalog # PECSA

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/product/40981/PECSA/REG/494
Cost $34.95

Pentax
Power Cord 645 (Extension Cord for Grip/Battery Compartment, 3m) for Original 645

Mfr Catalog # 38451 • B&H Catalog # PEPC645

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh2.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___41462___PEPC645___REG___CatID=485___SID=F3C73086F00

cost $39.95

Pentax
Quick-Shoe Set (Quick-Release) for 645 and 67 Cameras

Mfr Catalog # 38464 • B&H Catalog # PEQSS645

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh2.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___91478___PEQSS645___REG___CatID=498___SID=F3C73086F00

Cost $119.95

Thanks for all the help . Any opinions on film for this camera ?

I think you should pump through a few rolls of low ASA fine grained slide film...slight underexposure to saturate the colours...and just sit in awe at how sharp and beautiful everything looks!!!!
I've never been able to afford a medium format camera but have always loved the quality of Norman Kent's medium format work...done on a Hasselblad, I believe. I think he shoots Fuji film of some description. Enjoy that machine and take some shots to knock our socks off!!!
Blue skies,
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey