tictoc

Heads up display

After almost a month of trying to get dropzone.com to fix my link because I forgot to put .com at the end. I have given up and thought I would come and let you all know about it. For those looking for an alternative to conventional ring sites and looking for an H.U.D. check it out. Let me know what you all think. http://www.verticalxtremeproductions.com
--------------------------------------------------------
Some one must go to the edge for others to be able to find it. But if you go be sure you can make it back.

I can tell you it takes some getting use to just like any thing else. It is like driving your car looking throug a camera. Your depth perseption is a littel off. I am learning to go betwen focusing on the image on the screan and the skydive. The color vesion works better than the monocrome but I think most people will find the price for it just to steep.
Some one must go to the edge for others to be able to find it. But if you go be sure you can make it back.

If anyone is wanting to see it I will be at the PIA symposium next week. I am not going to have a booth but I will be their with it all week.

Great idea, I love it, but too rich for my blood. Hope you sell hundred's so it get's cheaper and I can afford it.
I tried out some "Glasses" that connect to the camera and you can see that way but it would suck under canopy. And the view was too small, your idea is much better.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

I definitely prefer the CV-1. It's only 64 colors, but the contrast of text on the background isn't always enough to see in monochrome. Quite expensive. Probably too expensive for most skydivers in the present form. The next generation of transparent LCD's (already in use elsewhere) should bring these things mainstream - just have to be patient (6months-1year at best).

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

I fully agree with every thing but I don’t see the development of LCD’s to the point of being able to use them for skydiving. All the transparent LCD's that I have seen has been simple clock type and I have not seen a color one at all. I am not in the electronics field any more and would be interested in any links you may have to some company that have them. As for full color video, heads up is the only thing that I know of that is out there.

Unfortunatly JumpHog that is who makes this device and it is a heads up display not just a LCD. But thanks for the imfo. I have been dealing with them for over a year now tring to get this for skydiving I have voiced my concerns about the price but they will not buge .

Transparent LCD's are already in use for HUD's. The problem with the ones in use is they are too big for HUD's of this nature. Part of good HUD development is the use of focal length. Fooling your eyes into thinking something is further away than it really is. This illusory effect is seen in the MV-1 and CV-1 you are using. The introduction of transparent LCD's of high enough resolution will bring the cost of these devices down, and eventually eliminate the 64 color barrier.

Can you tell me of any companys using transpaent LCD's for HUD's? It sounds as though you may have tryed the MV-1, CV-1. If so I would like to hear your thoughts on them. I have been using one for a while. But as far as I know I am the only one who is. Also I think I am the only one who has adapted it for skydiving. I would like to hear another persons thoughts on them that has used one.

Light is transmitted through transparent LCD's on the HUD in the Cadillac's night vision system. Just another method of projection. The pixels are too large for a head mounted projector, but the technology is there to make it work. Bottom line on the present generation - great tool for "special" shots where the camera is remotely operated, but the conventional viewfinder is not feasable. The hard part of that bottom line is the price tag.

I see what you are saying but the Cadillac's night vision system is not color. At least I don't beleave it is. I do beleave it is like other night vision I beleave it is green. I have not seen one in person but I have seen the add.

I have spoken to microoptical and can get a much better rate than $995 for the MV-1, all I have to do is get a few people to buy them at the same time. I can get the price down nearly 200 bucks. That is more reasonable, but in the long run, still too expensive. I have spoken with the R and D team up there and the model that is even better suited for skydiving is still way to expensive (5K) and a bit ahead of its time. They said in a few years that model will be the way to go. That model is the EG-7. The MV-1 should suffice till then unless you need color. then it would be the CV-1.

Later
FSUSKYDIVER

I have spoken to microoptical and can get a much better rate than $995 for the MV-1, all I have to do is get a few people to buy them at the same time. I can get the price down nearly 200 bucks. That is more reasonable, but in the long run, still too expensive. I have spoken with the R and D team up there and the model that is even better suited for skydiving is still way to expensive (5K) and a bit ahead of its time. They said in a few years that model will be the way to go. That model is the EG-7. The MV-1 should suffice till then unless you need color. then it would be the CV-1.

Later
FSUSKYDIVER

I know this. That is why on my website it says that if I get enought people I can get the price down. but you will still need to do the alterations to get it to work for skydiving.

Here is a photo of a cameraman named Robin Sutherland taken in 1986 or so. Robin had a ringsight as well as a viewer that showed him what the camera was seeing. I don't know if he had partially disassembled his camera and moved the viewfinder into that housing over his left eye. He also had a huge deck on his chest...the stuff on his helmet was only the camera and that was state of the art back then.
Jumping camera these days seems a whole lot easier and possibly safer with the smaller more easily jettisonible cameras most people use.
Robin went in at the Ranch in 1989 or so with a main/camera/reserve entanglement. He was a great guy.

--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Robin Sutherland.jpg

Thank for the photo. I have seen alot of theis typ of things. Their is even one for sell for $995 called the floting veiwfinder. Thouse are not ergenomicly pratical. As for entangelments the MV-1 is desighned in such a way that if it were to becon entangeled it would break off. This is not financially good but you would be alive to be pissed off. Also this site is less likely to entangel than most convetunal mountings as their is only one way to hook it (IE no post).

if I get 5 people to get one at the same time it will be $995 and will stay at that for each add. I have not went as far as to ask if I get 10, 20, etc. As the price being what it is I did not think I would be able to get more than 5 at one time.

I have spoken to microoptical and can get a much better rate than $995 for the MV-1, all I have to do is get a few people to buy them at the same time. I can get the price down nearly 200 bucks.

FSUSKYDIVER

I spoke to micro optical this morning.They assured me that I am the only authorized dealer in the skydiving market and that in order to get the deal that you are talking about you would have to be a dealer and you would have to get more than 5 of your friends.

I'm not here to burst your bubble, but remember skydiving is full of people from all walks of life. Some of us are in the film industry, where these little doodads are already being used. Others might be film school students, where these little doodads are shiney little trinkets that professors want to play with (and students get to play with them, too). I can assure you this technology has been used in the past, and I see it maturing very soon. I can also assure you that you are not the only skydiver that is a dealer for microoptical. They are in business, just as many of us are - to feed ourselves. If that means the market will support multiple dealers - that's what you'll find.

I spoke to micro optical this morning.They assured me that I am the only authorized dealer in the skydiving market and that in order to get the deal that you are talking about you would have to be a dealer and you would have to get more than 5 of your friends.***

Micro optical does not have EXCLUSIVE dealers. Anyone can be a dealer. I would love to see this $295 modification for skydiving. Sounds a little pricy.
NoleSkydiver

Micro optical does not have EXCLUSIVE dealers. Anyone can be a dealer. I would love to see this $295 modification for skydiving. Sounds a little pricy.
NoleSkydiver

So are you saying you are a dealer?
I said nothing about being an "exclusive dealer" And acording to them "anyone" can't be a dealer. They have some requirements. It is not a $295 modification. As I am like you and can not bye the # that is needed to get a discount I get them for the same price as any one else. The difference is that I have actually spent the time and done the things to make it work for skydiving. If you want to get some friends together and get micro optical to sell you some at a discounted price. I encourage you or anyone else to. I have never said you can’t. I simply said that I have done the things needed to make it work for skydiving and wanted to let people know that it was available. And that if I was to get a discount I would pass it on to the buyer.