chachi

Computer Editing Question

Just a question to those who computer edit. I have a PC looking to expand my storage and was going to buy a 80gig HD. Is it more important to get ATA 133, or a HD with a 8MB cache. Currently you can not get both in the same HD. Only Maxtor has ATA 133.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

~Rob

Kris looks at the huge U2W SCSI RAID sitting next to his computer and knows the true answer...

For IDE, I would go with the drive that has the lowest latency and higher throughput. Forget whether it's ATA-133 or the size of the buffer.

Also, put that drive on your other IDE channel. IDE is a one-command-at-a-time interface and if it is having to swap commands between two HDD's on the same channel things get ugly in the bandwidth dept.

That's why I like SCSI so much, command-queueing / prioritizing is a beautiful thing.

Also, a good, fast IEEE-1394 (FireWire) drive would be a good choice as well. Just remember what I said about throughput and latency.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Just a little something.
Fast is nice and good, BUT.
You do not have to have all the fastest drives like everyone thinks.
Before you slam me they are nice, yes.
But I started 3 years ago capturing with a 33, 5400 drive and it worked just fine.
It matters just as much to have as little running in the background.
Yes, now I have a much larger and faster machine, but that just makes things go smoother.