bogwarrior

NTSC and PAL

Hi,
I currently use a Sony PC1 and backup is a Sony PC3. According to the menu I can change the output from European PAL to American NTSC. However according to a visitor from the US I have to buy a camera that outputs in NTSC. Does anybody have experience of this , can I get a camera that will do both? I intend to travel between Asia and the US doing tandem video amongst other things.

I am from Ireland and we use PAL.

Blue skies.

David

I've heard of and seen in stores cameras that say they can be switched between NTSC and PAL. Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to try out that feature. Test recording/outputing while home may be your best bet especially if you can get your hands on an NTSC deck or vcr to confirm that it works. I know a lot of specialty A/V stores in the US have PAL dubbing capability, so maybe there's one around you with NTSC gear to test the theory. Is the camera only outputing in NTSC or PAL, or is it recording in one of the two formats? I believe that Mini-DV tapes record in an MPEG form, but am not sure if that is changed between NTSC and PAL. I'll ask one of the techs I work with at work Thursday.
I hope that helps. Matt