freefalle

polarizing filters on PC-100

I was looking at wide angle lenes for my pc-100 I was wondering what the thought was about using a polarizing filter with the wide angle lens. I know the filter will protect the lens but are there other filters that people use instead of the expensive polarizing filters? thanks

Beware...I bought one of the UV filters for my PC-100. It created an annoying halo effect whenever it got closer than 90 degrees from the sun. :S It was quite prominent and really detracted from the quality of the video. I didn't try other filters so I cannot say that all UV filters will do this with the PC-100. I do remember reading in wreck.skydiving a couple of years ago that filters on digitial video don't really do much to enhance the quality of the image (like they do in SLR cameras). They do, however, offer some level of protection for the lens. I get around this issue by having a lens cap on at all times when the camera is not on my helmet...and by not running into people in freefall with my camera.B| I've been using a Kenko 0.5 wide angle for almost 2 years and more recently a Kenko 0.43 super wide angle. Knock on wood...but haven't had any scratches yet. Good luck...and if you find one that doesn't give you the Halo action, let me know.
Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!