ERICCONNELLY

Weird stuff

I use a JVC miniDV (DVM 50) camera that has started to do some funny stuff - somebody help me out please.

The camera seems to work properly and then when the video is played back it is all F*d up. It looks like the image is divided into several (5 or 6) horizontal "bands" that are all playing at slightly different frame rates. It really looks bizzare.

If I pop out the tape, and insert a different tape it will record properly. If I put the F*d up tape back in, sometimes it does OK, sometimes not.

Has anyone else seen this? Is it the tapes or my camera?

That is actually pretty common. My experience is that it comes from taping over other images. usually the image in the background is the stuff you are taping over. What I do because i shoot a lot of tandems is every now and then record over the whole tape with the lense cap on. It's the tape, not the camera.
Drewfus McDoofus

From my experience this is pretty common with JVC cameras. I was warned NOT to buy one. I know a guy that had two and hated them both. I have seen the same problem you describe on two differen't JVC cams. Try running a head cleaner through it. That may help....or the heads themselves may be damaged and causing the problem.

May happen to any camera.
Clean your heads.
Try not to use the same tape for more than 2-3 cycles.
Stick to one tape brand.
Avoid 80/120 minutes tapes.
Video may be recovered if you play it at a hq desk player, but there is no guarantee.
Loads of useful info at http://www.zenera.com/reference/dvtape.html
BS
And yes - stick to Sony :P!

every now and then record over the whole tape with the lense cap on.

I just discovered a great way to blank tapes. :o

I put my camera in the VCR mode and hit record. It records a blank video (grey/black) with 0 volume audio.

I use a PC110 and I assume you can do this with most cameras.

Blue Ones,

Whit