SniperCJ

Most dangerous time for new camerafliers?

Ive been jumping video-only for a couple of months and have now set up a helmet with 35 mm also. I am starting to jump with the occasional tandem to learn the techniques and routine so I can do tandem video.
I was thinking about all this the other day and it occurred to me that I am probably entering the most dangerous part of camera flying. Being new to camera, complicating things with 35mm, learning a routine (tandems), etc.
It was mentioned that maybe this is the SAFEST part because youre hyper-aware of the newness and the potential for danger.
What do you think?
JC

I can't really say either way, it really depends on the skydiver. If you are willing to ask for, accept, and learn from the advice of others there is no reason it should be that bad. It also depends on how experienced you are and how much you have already been able to learn. If you are the type who thinks he or she knows or can figure it all out, then your entire skydiving career, as long or short as it may be, will be fraught with peril.
I did stuff slowely, asked a lot of "dumb" questions, and listened as much as I jumped. Don't forget to ask the tandem master what they think. A lot of them double as videoflyers are have jumped camera in the past. They have also spent a fair amount of time with video flyers and do really watch what they do. Different tandem master have different comfort levels as well. Always ask someone you haven't jumped with what's cool and what's not. Also let them know if you are planning to leave their field of vision (orbits) and discuss opening altitude and placement of you.
If you leave the ego at home with the lense cap you should be fine, otherwise you are a danger to all you jump around regardless of what you are doing. The worse thing about doing tandems is that you are also impacting the unsuspecting passenger who won't know if you are being safe or not and certainly will be unable to react to any fuck up you make during the skydive.
I assume you will be fine, you cared enough to write the post.
Drewfus McDoofus