faitor

DV Capture on hard drive

I'm sure this is simple but I can't figure it out. I have Win98 on my desktop. I want to capture DV from my PC-9. The problem I am having is that I can't get anything over 20min in length. Memory size is not a problem. I know there is a limit to file size. Is there any way around this? What do I need to do so I can capture a whole tape at once? Thanks for any feedback.

What software are you using? Some of the lower end software packages won't allow videos over a certain length. Also, you may want to check the online documentation of the software you running to see if this is the case or if there is merely a setting you have to change to allow you. Remember, videos take a crap-load of HD space, so be mindful of that(I've had videos take over 6gb before).
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.-General George Patton-

File size is usually your limiting factor. Not sure there's a lot you can do about it. Bunch of small captures? Or change OS. Make sure you're using FAT32 - that should help a little.
See if this works...
Mac OS
HFS
2 GB

Mac OS
HFS+
1000 GB

Windows Me , 98 SE, 98
FAT
2 GB

Windows Me , 98 SE, 98
FAT32
4 GB

Windows 2000, NT
NTFS
I000 GB
Pinnacle Systems has Studio 7, a nice little video editing package that will let you capture in "preview mode" - it takes up a lot less space on your drive, and you can capture an hour or 2 at a time. The down side - when you make your final product, it'll ask you to put the tapes you used back in, so I can recapture the clips you use full quality.
I ain't happy, I'm feeling glad
I got sunshine, in a bag

wild blue is all over it....
if you have win98 and a fat 32 hard drive... you will only be able to capture a limited amount of video...
if you are using pinnacle software it limits you to an 18 minute movie
Thats easy to get around though......
Your average "song" is only 3-5 minutes long. Make a few videos 3-5 minutes long instead of on long one that is 25 .... as you finish one .... upload it to vhs, deleted teh residual.... and start over again.....