rmcvey

lens/camera settings

hi guys,
sorry to bother you so early in the morning, but ive some questions which are bugging me.
When referring to SLR cameras and the like, I understand shutter speeds and aperture settings and how the relate to one another, Im no expert but ive got a grasp of the basic fundementals of how a camera works.
BUT...... this has always bothered me....
I think some people refer to this as having the focus on infinity, but how do you set you camera so that close up objects (ie skydivers) are in focus, but so is everything else behind in the shot (ie the horizon 50 miles away)
Is this a depth of field thing?
please help ive had no sleep for the past 14 days trying to figure this out and my sanity is starting to slip. giraffe anybody?
or maybe a nice peice of trout.
BS's
Rob

It's depth of field. If you have a sunny day, you should be able to set the camera shutter priority(about 350-500) and it should turn out fine.That will use a smaller aperture(larger number..about 12-16). Or you can use aperture priority and set it on about 16(it will use a slower shutter speed though and you will get some blur off jump suits). Don't worry about the background, fill the frame with your subject and you'll get some great pics.
Blue Skies and Long Swoops,
Tony

So after setting a small aperture how would you set the focus before you get in the plane (or before exit)
Do you leave it on manual focus or what?
Im confused now.
I know how to change aperture and shutter settings,
I have an EOS, after setting the apeture to eg. 16 in the aperture priority mode, would I switch to manual focus and this would work ok,
Or am i way off?
help......!! :S
(Dont worry I dont actually jump camera, im just intersested in skydiving related photography)

I use a sigma 24mm(about $190 USD) on most jumps and set the camera on TV at 350 for RW and 500 for freeflying. I use manuall focus set at about 1 meter for most jumps. RW set at just under infinity(just over 2 meters), works fine. On freefly jumps I like to use a 15mm fisheye by sigma(about $420 USD) set to about .75 meters. Get close and don't worry about the background, it distracts from the subject of the picture. It is very difficult to fly for both the video and the picture, decide wich one you like the most and you will develope your own style.