Ramjet11

Which 35mm to buy?

I have been shooting video for a while now and I am looking to add a 35mm still camera to my setup. Does anyone have any advice on what camera to get? I try to shoot a little of everything (freefly, RW, ground canopy shots, etc), and I am looking for something that will last a long time without killing my pocketbook. Lens advice for the camera would be useful too. Thanks!

I use a Rebel G and have had few (no?) issues with it.
Conceptus bite swith w/ prewired Canon plug is THE easy answer for setting this up.
You'll also want a 28mm lens. Maybe 24mm if you do big-way stuff. You -don't- need auto-focus soyou can save a couple of bucks there if they have non-auto-focus available.
Call Jack at Tri-state (if he still works there) and pick up a Stroboframe QRC-300 quick release bracket. (800) 221-1926.
Paul
futurecam.com/skydive.html

I don't know of anyone that has had a bad experience with the Stoboframe quick release. I know that there may be some folks out there that have, but I'm just not aware of any issues. Mine has held up very well and I highly recommend it.
Seems to be the quick release of choice at my DZ.
Paul

35mm stills for freefly, a 28mm or 24mm should be just about right unless you want some really ultra wide effects. 16mm is not out of the question, but for anything wider than a 24mm you're -really- going to start paying a high price especially if you want a fairly "fast" lens. Manual focus will save you a couple of bucks and you won't really want an auto focus anyway.
Video for freefly, most people seem to get good results from Kenko .42s, but check out the wide angle adapters carefully since there seems to be quite a bit of difference between manufacturers. Also, step-up rings will have a tendency to change the image slightly and can cause a bit of vignette in the really wide generic adapters.
I would suggest, if you can, to borrow some adapters from different camera flyers and see what is acceptable on YOUR camera. There's just too wide a range of variation to give one over all recommendation.
Paul