Poczynek

Spectre / Hornet Fabric difference

Hi All,
Just recieved my new Spectre in the mail - have been jumping a Hornet for some time - and really noticed a difference in the ZP material - Does any one know what the 3 disignates in ZP3. Several mates have told me the Spectre zp3 material is a much higher quality (longer life) then the material used on the - man I got to tell you though packing the Spectre is a nightmare compared to the Hornet - hopefully the Spectre will get easier when I got some jumps on it but right now I feel like I am in a greased pig match up.
Cheers
phat, dumb & happy

well, i'm not sure which one actually last longer. i have seen quite a few jumps on both types of material, and they are still fine.

but the reason your hornet is easier to pack is because it's gevlar (or something like that) zp. and PD used some other brand name of zp (i think blue).

i don't know the whole story on the differnces, so i'm not even going to post what i know because i'm not positive, i just know they way they are made is different.

later

Both canopy fabrics are very good. Both will last far longer then you care about, you'll ditch the canopy long before either fabric wears out.

PD, Precision, and Icarus canopies are made with Dupont SolarMax, which are then coated with a product called "SoarCoat" to give it it's zero perosity property.

Canopies made by PISA, Aerodyne, and Cobalt are made with a fabric of South African origins called Gelvenor.

The Gelvenor fabric is treated in a different way then the DuPont fabric. Both treatments yeild a fabric that will maintain near zero-perosity over a long period of time.

The DuPont fabric is very slippery when it is new, which makes it very dificult to pack if you're not used to it.. That slipperiness will wear off after about 50 packjobs.

As you travel around to different dropzones, you'll find people at each dropzone that adamently insist that one fabric is better then the other, and that you're a fool for buying a canopy made with the wrong fabric.

After you year these arguments made over both fabrics a few times, you'll start to get bored with the whole debate.

Neither fabric has ever been shown to last longer then the other. Neither fabric is "better" then the other. South African Gelvenor fabric IS easier to pack when new.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.