TrashTash

@ riggerrob

Hi Rob,

i have a question about equipment.

A) which container do you recommend?

I maybe want buy a vector 3 with the new skyhook-rsl.

B) As main canopy i'am not sure which canopy to buy: Spectre or Sillhouette (loaded 1:1-1.1:1)?
Which has the greatest opening security and the easiest landings?

C) For the reserve I will choose a PD, a Techno or a Speed 2000 .
I think thechnos are the best design and most opening security but pd has the best landings.
Or is it a Tempo?
Which offers the greatest opening security and best landings?

(Sorry 4 bad english)

THX 4 answers!! :-)

Hi Rob,

i have a question about equipment.

A) which container do you recommend?

I maybe want buy a vector 3 with the new skyhook-rsl." end quote.

Buying from any of the top 6 manufacturers will be a wise decision. Vector/Relative Workshop has been building harness/containers for longer than anyone else. The latest Vector 3 Micron and M-Vector 3's look mighty fine.
As for the Skyhook, I have always been an RSL supporter and the Skyhook is the latest and greatest RSL.

quote:"
B) As main canopy i'am not sure which canopy to buy: Spectre or Sillhouette (loaded 1:1-1.1:1)?
Which has the greatest opening security and the easiest landings?" end quote.

Junior jumpers - like you - should definitely keep their wingloadings in the 1.0 to 1.1 pounds per square foot range.
As for the choice between a Spectre or Silhouette, Hee! Hee!
That is a tough call.
I know plenty of skydivers who own and love their Spectres, especially photographers, who are really fussy about openings.
I don't know why, but Silhouettes were never as popular. Theoretically, Silhouettes should pack a bit easier and have a slightly larger sweet spot for landing.

quote:"C) For the reserve I will choose a PD, a Techno or a Speed 2000 .
I think thechnos are the best design and most opening security but pd has the best landings.
Or is it a Tempo?
Which offers the greatest opening security and best landings?

(Sorry 4 bad english)

THX 4 answers!! :-)

" end quote.

Yes, PD reserves have a very good reputation.

Tempos are also very popular. I have packed hundreds of Tempos and have always been impressed by their quality. Unfortunately Tempos just went out of production because PISA was absorbed by the New Aerodyne Corporation.

I have only repacked a few Parachutes de France Techno reserves, but was also impressed by their quality.

Sorry, I have never repacked a Speed reserve and cannot comment.

"Opening security" should be the same on all reserves. As for landings, try interviewing people who have jumped each model.

Question, are the Parachutes de france legal to jump in this country for resident's?
I also noticed at the PIA that the new aerodyne reserve uses the same tape as the Precision reserve that had all the problem's. I asked one of their representatives about it and he said their bartak was different, but that made little sence, I remember Skydiving Magazine actually tested the type 1 and type 3 tapes and found that even with the double bartack it made little difference, so why would they use a configuration that is reported to be questionable, anything you know would be helpfull.

Oh yeah, I met you at the PIA, I didn't realize it until today when I found a business card you gave me. I was with Joey Jones wednesday night downstairs waiting for a limo, ring a bell?

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Hi rDutch,
Some Parachutes de France reserves are TSOed and can be legally jumped by American citizens in the USA. Just read the orange warning label, P.deF. build all of their reserves to similar specifications, but not all satisfy the FAA's paperwork requirements.
Most of the confusion was caused by a P.deF. corporate decision to avoid American lawyers by not selling directly to the North American market.
Pity! P.deF. builds some good gear.

As for the debate over reserve suspension line attachment tapes ....
Yes, the new Aerodyne is using the same Type 3 line attachment tapes as failed on some Precision Raven-M reserves. And yes, I remember the explanation given by the Aerodyne designer.
These are the same Type 3 tapes we used on the Aviator P-124A heavy weight, high speed drop tests. Despite exceeding TSO C23D weight and airspeed requirements by wide margins, we never tore a tape.

I suspect that the problem is that drop tests are normally done with stable dummies, while few skydivers are perfectly stable at pull time. Tumbling during deployment momentarily places all the load on one riser, which can overstress any single component.
For a more detailed description of tumbling drop tests, ask Tony Frost in Marana, Arizona.