dounglomchan

Shoulder Braces with 4 Way

I'm not sure if this should be posted here or in the skydiving general section of the forums but the post has to do with 4 way so I will try it here.

I recently dislocated my shoulder in the wind tunnel. It has happened a few times to me now while skydiving but all the other previous times happened when I was sit-flying. I didn't think that my shoulder would dislocate while doing belly RW but unfortunately I was wrong.

I want to continue with my team but I don't want to risk another dislocation in the air as opposed to the wind tunnel. I have had my shoulder mildly dislocate in free fall the past two times it has happened.

Before anyone gets worried I am seeing a doctor and getting an MRI done on my shoulder in a few weeks.

My MAIN question is has anybody ever used any shoulder brace such as the SAWA brace or any other kind of brace designed to keep your shoulder from sublexing or dislocating? Were you still able to compete and train in 4 way RW? Or did it affect your range of motion and movement to much?

Any stories or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the help.

Several dislocations?? Jesus, your rotation cuffs must be worn out like old elastic tape!

The brace did not help me a bit. It surely will help you in daily life, normal movements but: Not in the air, in freefall, whatever you intend to do up there! That's a dream and you should forget it as quick as possible. Don't do anything else before your doc gave his statement.

The above is based on my own experience with *only* 2 dislocations in freefall and a 15 cm cicatrice on my right shoulder.

Be very carefull, please.

dudeist skydiver # 3105

I use a Bauerfeind OmoTrain and I personally think it helps a huge amount. I once forgot to wear the brace (after 60-70 incident free jumps) and my shoulder dislocated when I brought my arms forward at the end of the track.

http://shop.bauerfeindusa.com/cgi-bin/cart.pl?Dynamic+products.txt+OMOTRAIN+template.html+3
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

The problem with almost every single brace commercially available is they stop working when the arm is raised. I nearly quit skydiving 4500 jumps ago because my shoulder was so unstable. All I needed was a brace that when the arm was raised, it would pull the arm tighter into the socket.

7 dollars worth of webbing and velcro later, I made one and used it for many thousands of jumps.

After years of wearing the brace I no longer need and unfortunately, I've lost it so I can't show it to you.

Back track a few years when I still had that brace.

One day, I needed it but left it at home so I took duct tape and a simple belt and made one. I dug this out recently to show a friend. I don't suggest making one from duct tape, it's just the only one I had available for your viewing pleasure.

Function is the only reason this is being shown. The redneck rigging is quite exceptional because it works great, but it's not very streamlined.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

All I know is that it worked for me and that my physical therapist told me that is the type pro basketball players use, and obviously they need to be able to lift their arms over their heads.

Have said that, your option is gonna be a helluva lot cheaper, so if it works then why not?
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA