FlyingBlueJay

Legs and slowing down

I have heard mixed reports from different coaches and RW guys about sticking your legs out to slow down, aka come up from below.

The thing that works for me the best is de-arching and turning my head to the side creating a pocket of air in my chest area.

I have heard from a very, very experienced flyer before that sticking my legs out will not help, but everyone else I have spoken to, coaches and instructors alike have said to stick my legs out.

Help? I'm a big guy and am getting better at falling slow(er), but I could use all the advice I can get!
There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Pick a nice day, and try it. - Douglas Adams

Do you have booties? If so, learning to turn them inwards and tilt them into the wind will help a lot. This will tend to drive you forwards so you'll have to sit up a bit and keep your arms almost straight out in front of you - but it's a powerful technique.

If not, then cupping your chest and getting your arms/legs as flat as possible (and as straight as possible) is probably your best bet.

Lot's of threads on this. Do a search.

One thing (booties or not) - your legs are a huge portion of your surface area. I can think of no reason that sticking them out wouldn't help to some extent or the other.

Once you add booties, then it's overwhelming that you use that surface area for slowing down.

(sometimes someone VERY, VERY experienced is just someone with a ton of jumps that refused to learn any new technique in the last decade)

Slow fall (with or without booties) superman style works better for me (personally) than beach ball style.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Lot's of threads on this. Do a search.

One thing (booties or not) - your legs are a huge portion of your surface area. I can think of no reason that sticking them out wouldn't help to some extent or the other.

Once you add booties, then it's overwhelming that you use that surface area for slowing down.

(sometimes someone VERY, VERY experienced is just someone with a ton of jumps that refused to learn any new technique in the last decade)

Slow fall (with or without booties) superman style works better for me (personally) than beach ball style.

I agree. I have worked with a bunch of people that were unable to get back up from being low. Teaching them to "superman" legs out and arms out (and learning how to control where they are going while doing it) has made a big difference. Furthermore, time always has to be spent on teaching them how to not go low in the first place. Dressing for the dive, flying a slot that is right for your limitations (though now and then pushing them is good) and being proactive not reactive in making sure to "stay" in the dive goes a long way towards not having to get back up from being low.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka