jeremy_o

NSL Class Q's

The dive pool for the rookie class only consists of the random formations, there are 16 of them. the random formations are simply individual formations, the sequences for each jump in the rookie class are 3 formations long. The A class introduces some of the easier blocks, there are 8 of them(2,4,6,7,8,9,19,21), the blocks are a series of two formations with a defined movement(inter) in between, the A class sequences are 3-4 points. If you are just getting into 4 way I would recomment looking for a rookie team for your first year, it's a great way to learn, if you can afford it get yourself into one of the Airspeed basic tunnel camps, there's a good chance you will come out of one of those camps with the skill to fly all the A class blocks. Whatever you choose don't forget to have fun, 4 way is addicting:P and get lots of coaching, also get your hands on some 4 way videos if you can, the nsl website has tons of them, watching videos and calling off the formations as you see them is a great way to help you learn them. good luck;)

Dive Pool

NSL Website
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Not really, the way i look at it personally, find where you are comfortable and take it a step further. If you are comfortable on a rookie team, have your team step up to A class, go beyond your comfort zone and push yourselves. And make sure you are getting good advice and coaching along the way, stepping outside your comfort zone when you have a good mentor to guide you will increase your learning curve, or at least that's how I feel, I'm sure there's some other far more experienced people around here that will chime in when they get a chance.

just don't foget to have fun, whatever you decide;)
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Get your random work really sorted before hitting the blocks.

In the old UK system, to compete in rookie you had to have a max 900 jumps between three members (unlimited numbers for one member encouraged experienced jumpers to share their knowledge). The jumps only counted after the FS1 qualification. It meant that many members of rookie teams would have something like up to 450 jumps each before they moved up.

On the other hand one of the guys on my team had less than 300 jumps when he joined us in the old UK intermediate category (half way between A and AA).

Don't miss an opportunity if it's there, but if you have a choice go rookie.

Dru

There's no jump requirement, Lynn. When you get a team together, you can compete in any class the team is comfortable in. But I do recommend you push yourselves and not sandbag at the season start.

Have Miles organize a couple 4-way dives for your team, get it videoed, and have him score them (or I will). You can compare your performance vs teams that post on Skyleague (2006 season) and maybe pick the right class to start in. (put yourself in the lower one third of the typical scoring range for the that class).

It's fun to be competitive locally, but I think it's a lot more fun to be competitive with the national and international teams on the site. The NPSL has had some very solid teams in the AA skills range (8-13 average potential). Maybe one or two combinations of people that would do excellent in AAA (advanced - I'd say 14-16 with the full dive pool) if we'd ever get that combo together. And a ton of R and A class talent just waiting to move up. I'd love to see a 3rd Waseca team.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'd love to see a 3rd WISSOTA team.

Fixed it for ya! And we wouldn't be a third. The Shockers pretty much dismantled this year.

Jeremy and I talked about a team, but we have a few things to work out. One is finding two other team mates that would want to be a little competative along with having fun. The second is that we have fall rate issues to work out. Jeremy is a floater. I'm a rock. My issue. Everyone else that we can think of are floaters so I'm afraid our competitiion videos will consist of an exit, then a nice three way with a nice view of me getting smaller and smaller. If we didn't have fall rate issues I would say we'd got A all the way. But rookie might be a nice way to get our feet in the door.

Good news is that we have quite a few people that would be willing to work on and off with us to get us going, get better, and advance. Miles, Todd, Mary, etc.

Thanks for your offer to help. Don't be surprised if you get an email with a video attachment in the future!!!!

whoops - "Chip" then. I always turn the town names around.

go see the tunnel for a mantis camp. If you want the contact info for the Baldwin camps in the works, let me know and I'll hook you up with the organizers. I am NOT organizing one this year - I've had enough of that for a while. Slowing down is usually a bit of relaxation (NOT dearching) to allow the proper body position to be effective - then you can weight up the others at that point if you're still fast.

I have a lot of literature and things for you guys when you're ready. I'm happy to score some video and suggest the right class.

On the plus side, the winter has been good for jumping. On the bad side, my knee surgery has me "on a break" until March or so (even though I feel great, the doc warns the graft isn't strong yet).

It's a shame about the Shockers, they had some good potential and great chemistry and a third season would have had them flying very nicely. I was very impressed with a couple of them - Sean really seemed to 'get it' but each brought something good to the team. Just needed a little more control and little less rushing - precision comes first - speed and power later - and they'd be comfortable in double digits for most any AA draw.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Bill,
Thanks for the offer of helping out. Please PM me any info you have about learning camps in Baldwin this summer, I am interested.

I'm looking forward to next summer, it should be fun!
http://planetskydive.net/ - An online aggregation of skydiver's blogs.