bliston

Nationals '06 dates for 4-way FS

I know the dates for Nats are set for Oct. 17 - 29, but is there any word on the event breakdown? The reason that I'm bringing it up is that I hope there's a push to move 4-way back to Sat. and Sun. rather than starting it on a Monday this year.

I heard that the change over the last to years was because Perris and/or USPA wanted to encourage more involvement in the Free Style events by holding it on a weekend, but I don't think it's fair to USPA members at large to schedule the most attended event (4-way) during the "work week." It might also be that they figure if people take off Mon. to Thurs. for 4-way and the event finishes early, that they’ll stay for 8-way and maybe even through the weekend for 16 and 10. For members that just have 2 weeks vacation, though, and might want to use those days sparingly for training and family, why screw them. Again, not saying other events don't matter, I’m just hoping to encourage the powers that be to schedule things in a way that benefits the most members rather that encourage attendance at events that have had smaller turnouts in years past. Particularly for weekend jumpers that might have a “fun” team, having 4-way run over a weekend might make the difference for them when deciding whether or not to compete.

The USPA board of directors meeting is in early Feb. Please take the time to drop your regional director an email to voice your thoughts, and maybe even drop a line to Skydive AZ. Pro or Con.

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

I agree totally. I know of several teams that could not make Nationals last year because of the dates. 1) It was too early in the year and they could not get off of work (teams had two school teachers and taking vacation first week of school was impossible) 2) Event started on a weekday...had it started on a Saturday like in past years they could have attended.

I think Perris dropped the ball on the dates but that is in the past. Looking forward, let's make sure the most highly attended event gets the benefit of a good weekend start date.

Ben -

This baloon was floated several years ago as well. Agruements on both sides. But, strictly lookin at 4-way, how much does it matter in terms of the number of days you take off work?

If you are doing a purely fun team, yes, it probably matters. You travel on Friday, register on-line, likely make no practice jumps, compete Sat. and Sunday, fly home Sunday night, assuming no weather day. 3 days total, 1 day off work.

If you take a day on the back end for weather and to enjoy the party on Sunday night, its 4 days total, 2 off work.

More likely you travel on Thursday, make a few jumps and get settled on Friday, compete Sat. and Sunday and save Monday for weather and/or travel. 5 days total 3 days off work. This would seem to be the most standard approach for even fun teams.

More serious teams would take even more time at the front, but lets use this as an example.

Now, look at this with a Mon. Tues schedule:

Travel Saturday, practice Sunday, compete Mon, Tues, travel/weather Wed. That is 5 days total and 3 off work. Granted, the quick, in and out approach above would not be possible, but otherwise, its roughly the same. As we know - its always a gamble to not allow 3 days to complete 4-way.

Steve.

I agree that for the teams that are training hard and very serious about the meet that the dates don't make as much of a differance. However, I think it makes a big difference for competitors that what to make it in friday afternoon for the draw and have the option of catching a red-eye out of town on Sunday night if the meet runs smooth.

I plan to be there early and stay through 8-way, so it don't directly affect me. I just want the schedule to be as appealing as possible to new 4-way jumpers.

sticks!

I hear ya on that. But how many really try to do the jump and dash any more? I'd be curious to know. Having been on the AE side of things, I do know its nice to have a more active DZ and maybe some folks at the awards.

Betsy at Eloy probably has the proposed schedule already. It should have been part of their bid package.

Steve.

I know the dates for Nats are set for Oct. 17 - 29,

USPA site says the 21st-29th so does the Eloy website. What am I missing?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Got word from the meet director. The plan that Skydive AZ presented to USPA, which he reffered to as "tentative" is to have the 4-way draw on Sat. night - so scheduled comp days would be Sun. and Mon (and Tues. if need be). 8, 10, and 16 follow, in that order, with the last Sat. and Sun. serving as weather days. He warned the or the potential for change, though, stating:

"Although we plan to begin 4-way on Sunday and hope to finish on Monday, it is very unwise for a team to count on this being a certainty. Weather can alter the entire schedule. Teams need to be prepared to stay through the final day of the meet to allow for weather delays"

The meet ends on Sunday the 28th. Hope the info is helpful for people who need to schedule time off early.

Ben

sticks!