kai2k1

What should you do?

What should you do if faced with a situation where someone goes low in a formation and you get stuck in their burble? This happened to me last sunday and i came right down on my buddy's helmet. I didnt break my nose, but it sure hurt like hell for awhile.

Should you attempt to turn away? Im totally confused on this one.

Thanks.

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

The correct theoretical answer is: when someone goes low on a formation, they should esure that they do not go directly underneath anyone in the formation. That way, no one gets stuck in the burble and lands on their back.

It's mostly about prevention. Since your jump numbers are below 100, I'm running the assumption that you're not doing large (12+) skydives. As such, in small, randsom get togethers, the rule is always that the fastest faller of the group sets the pace for all the others. He or she should be either in the center, or close to it. When they start to fall below the general group, then everyone else needs to compensate and pick up speed.

On the other hand, if that person dives at the formation and overshoots, or if they are on the outside and drop out, they will be below a semi-completed formation, struggling to get back up. Again, the formation needs to pick up speed to help out our struggling friend. But if this friend then drifts under someone, and they get caught in the burble, then there is very little that the higher person can do except brace themselves for impact. If there is any chance at all at gaining some air, use it to try to slip to the left or right. Usually, once you're in it, the only place you're going is down.

It is possible to "burble hop" in RW, but this is a planned manoever that can be done only because you've got enough inertia to come out the other side.

Once again, it's mainly prevention. The low person has a responsibility to stay out of the airspace directly under the formation. If you're having a consistent problem with an individual going low, get him or her a larger jumpsuit, AND put them in the center AND adjust your fall rate to match his or hers.
Mike Ashley
D-18460
Canadian A-666

I got into a similar situation this past weekend. It was on breakoff of a 6 or 8 way and I was turning away to track and all of a sudden I can't turn. I'm in the burble of someone who went low on breakoff. I end up crashing into him. Not hard enough to hurt either of us.

You won't be able to turn very well in someone elses burble. You need air to turn. Try to push yourself off of their container with your arms. The idea is to avoid hitting limbs or the other jumpers head. That's the best I can think of.

Thanks for the info! Ill sure put it to good use.

Yes, I am not attempting anything more than a 4 way at the moment, mainly 2 ways. I would chalk this up to inexperience and have learned alot from it.

Maybe i should invest in a full face helmet too:S

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

The full face helmet ain't a bad idea (although I can't stand them anymore), but more importantly is don't let target fixation carry you into the other jumper. Often when someone goes low and is bellow the formation, you have the urge to stare at them while they slide under you, then as you fall into the burble you have the reaction of puting your arms out infront of you to cushion the impact.

Don't do it. Bringing your arms in will just speed you up and make you hit thme that much faster. Anticipate. When the come sliding towards you, drop grips, get big, backslide, whatever it takes. It's not as if you're on a 100 way where you cant drop grips or move around.

If you end up in the burble try to fly off the edge of it. Even if you're droping into it, you'll probably gain enough momentem to miss them, or just hit them with a glancing blow rather than a full on back pack.

In short keep on flying and the kick their ass for sliding under the formation when you get to the ground....:D
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

What should you do if faced with a situation where someone goes low in a formation and you get stuck in their burble? This happened to me last sunday and i came right down on my buddy's helmet. I didnt break my nose, but it sure hurt like hell for awhile.

Try to avoid the situation in the first place.

If someone is below you, try to get out of their way...Yes, they should never be below you, but yes it also does happen.

If they are below you...Try to stay out of directly above them. If you do get in their burble, get as big as you can....You might catch enough air to avoid them, or atleast hit them slower than if you just ball up.

Turn you head sideways so if you do hit them, it will not hit you in the nose or eyes.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334