scargill

WARP/Skydive U - What's the difference?

I've recently completed RAPS in the UK and am keen to start some RW coached jumps. My dz (and most dz's in the UK i think:S) use the WARP system for this so thats the system i'm going to start with. But, I hear the name Skydive U talked/written about quite a bit and wondered what the difference is? I've asked a few people this before and they simply say its similar to WARP and thats all I need to know, but if its so similar then why does it even exist? There must have been a need for coaching using diff methods etc for someone to have gone to the effort of developing the program?!! Appologies if this sounds like a stupid question:$, but would just like to know the differences, advs/disads of the different programs! Thank you!

Put simply – WARP is a pretty outdated system consisting of 10 levels which gets you by the 10th level to complete a 4 point 4 way and fulfil the requirements for the BPA FS1 qualification. The WARP coach qualification is not particularly hard to obtain and at most DZs once you get the rating that is it – there is no requirement to keep your skills or what you teach up to date. :S

Sky U is (I believe – I’m sure someone will correct me) a 20-25 level structure where the emphasis is more on learning to fly your body well. Sky U is more up to date and it is, I believe, a more difficult rating to get. The coaches have to keep their skills and teaching content up to date.

However… before I completely put you off WARP it is worth bearing in mind that there is nothing wrong with the WARP structure itself if it is taught well and if modern flying skills are included. A lot of WARP coaches in the UK do use a lot of Sky U-type teaching methods and provide good quality FS coaching. Some WARP coaches do make the effort to keep their skills and what they teach up to date – others less so. [:/]

In short, WARP is often only as good as the person teaching it, with Sky U you are pretty much guaranteed good, up to date instruction.

Sky U is not particularly wide spread in the UK – I guess mainly because of the cost of doing 20+ jumps with a coach at UK prices to get FS1! There is of course always the weather factor too… [:/]

My advice? If you want to gain your FS1 in the UK try to find an FS coach who has been coached themselves and who keeps their skills and what they teach up to date. If you have the time and money to go abroad, find a Sky U coach and/or a tunnel camp! ;)B|

Hope this is helpful! :)
Vicki

When I had coaching, I just did some 2-ways with an older WARP coach at my DZ, but he sees how outdated it is. We just tried to work on various levels in 1 jump.

I then took part in a BPA FS skills weekend which had Sarah Laughton from VMAX, Andy Scot and Rotti from VNE and Al Macartney. I just did a couple of 2 ways using many skills at once, finishing on a blinder of a 4-way.

Whenever Ive seen coaching its been done focusing on people's weakness's, not working on a level by level basis.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

I think Vicky does sum WARP up very well, it does depend on who you go with. However there are other aspects tought in WARP at certain dropzones such as spotting, JM responsibilities, canaopy handling and these are just as important so it is good to go with an WARP instructor that can teach you all of the freefall skills (up to date) and the other responsibilites.

Finding someone that can teach things in a way that suits you is also important!

I haven't got experience on Skydive U so really cannot comment but I do know some exceptional WARP instructors in the UK and I also know some bad ones. I had the same problem when I was doing WARP. I was very lucky with who I ended up with and he tought me alot of very useful skills that are still very relevent.

You need someone with alot of skydiving experience aswell as good up to date freefall skills. Maybe someone who is or has recently been on a good coached team but has been in the sport long enough to know about all the other responsibilities I have mentioned.

Good Luck with getting your FS1!

Most of the spotting/JM responsibilities/canopy handling stuff is often handled as part of IC1 and (strictly speaking) teaching it is the responsibility of the CSI who gives the IC1 briefings. However in practise any half decent WARP coach will give you as much help you need with these skills (and any other skillss to help keep you safe in the air) – whether that is letting you help with the spot, advice on canopy control etc. :)
Get recommendations – people on the DZ will generally be able to point out a good WARP coach.

Good luck with your FS1 and enjoy it! :)
Vicki

Edited - because I forgot to include something!:$

Whenever Ive seen coaching its been done focusing on people's weakness's, not working on a level by level basis.

To an extent it should be... there are many different ways that WARP is taught because almost all instructors agree that the levels are a guideline however there is no point progressing to the next level because the manual says you have to if the student is not ready. As an example the goal of level 1 is falling straight down the tube and forward movement. If you cannot fall down the tube there is no point in moving onto in place turns as a neutral body position is a pre-requisite.

A good WARP coach will be able to develop your weaknesses and build on your strengths - a poor WARP coach will give you a whole selection of new weaknesses!!!

Ask around your DZ and people will soon tell you who falls into which category. B|
I'm drunk, you're drunk, lets go back to mine....

Hi all

Just to make sure that this gets right: The Skydive-U or BBF system also teaches other aspects like exit, canaopy handling and a lot of other things.

Having been through both the WARP and BBF as a student my experience is that the WARP will get you safe in the air, but the BBF will make you a better flyer.

I completely agree that the quality of the instructor will determine the quality of the education. I guess that this is true in all aspects of the sport. Keeping up to date is extremely important and in order to keep a Skydive-U rating you need to be current.

PS. I am a Skydive-U coach.:)

Thank you for your explanations and advice!

As WARP is the only route offered at my local DZ I think I'll be sticking to that - but will also look out for opportunities at other DZ's where I can get some additional coaching, even after I have gained my FS1.

I did a few 2 ways with a friend at the weekend (who is also a camera flyer, which was handy for de-brief!). We worked on forward movement and fall rate which went well. I was also followed out by an instructor on one jump and they both commented that I was falling down the tube - so I feel more confident about starting WARP now.

Thanks again!