conoro

Jumpsuit slows you down?

I posted this under the "New jumpsuit thread" but I don't think people were reading that one anymore :P. I have a jumpsuit "problem" I guess:

I did some test jumps with and without my jumpsuit on. I'm really trying to fall faster but I normally float on everyone I jump with. Except women! It's very frustrating really. On one of my jumps earlier this year in AZ, one of the guys said "Dude, I thought you'd pulled you floated so hard...".
Oh, I'm 140 pounds, 5'9 (yeah, yeah, eat more steak..)

My protrack measurements for the jumps were revealing. Arching, head up, pelvis down, t-shirt, shorts - 120 (SAS). Which I was quite surprised I could do at all.

Same thing but with my Tony suit (which I bought used - a Pit Special with comp grips and rather glaring colours but seems to be a tight enough fit - nylon front, spandex back/arms, no booties). I got 116/117 max (SAS again).

Is this normal? I guess a jumpsuit will slow you down right? Thing is when I did a two way later on my speeds were 109-112. I'm doing something wrong here :S...

from my very limited experience, yes a jumpsuit will slow you down (a proper fitting one not by much) but you'll have so much more control. Same with booties, they will slow you down, but you'll be so much more sharp and decisive in the air. Thats just my limited experience from only 50 jumps so take it as you will. I have the same problem as you though, we just have to remember how to arch hard, maybe get somebody GOOD to video you and debrief you (your "hard" arch might actually need to be tweaked to help your position). Sometimes what we think were doing in the air isnt actually what were doing (at least for me :P).

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Yeah - the RW suit gives the control alright - without it I tend to have to work harder to move around.

I wonder can you do RW on your back! Well, my initial attempts at RW were not great but video showed my knees were down which was useful. Hard to move forward when your knees are backsliding you. I also figured I was trying to arch by punching out my upper back - which just hurts your chest muscles and actually slows you down because your butt sticks upwards.

Now, apparantly, I need to "fly the position" - I get into formation (eventually), heave a sigh of relief, relax, and , I'm outta there. Sigh. Time to do some back stretching exercises I think. I don't like wearing the weight vest much (especially in a Cessna - it sits on your stomach. After 20 mins I want to barf :).

A jumpsuit doesn't have to slow you down, it can help speed you up too. It depends on the cut of the jumpsuit and the material.

I'd recommend getting some good RW coaching to really learn how to fly your body correctly. That will include learning how to speed up so you can fall with groups easier. Personally, I think that Skydive U. is the best RW program out there, besides going to the tunnel (which might be a good choice too).

Good luck!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I get into formation (eventually), heave a sigh of relief, relax, and , I'm outta there. ].

That's a common error. You have to keep flying with the formation after you've docked.

Maybe you should try a different configuration for your weights, so they don't rest on your gut. I can fly on my belly at over 130mph without weights, but I choose to wear weights because it puts my "neutral" speed at the speed of the others I jump with - which means I can be relaxed when docked without floating away.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I don't like wearing the weight vest much

Weights are something that you should definitely learn to use. Try a belt if you don't like the vest (I personally like the belts a lot more.) I'm 5'9 ~148 so I know how it is to fall slow. Get good coaching and do some tunnel time to learn to control everything a lot better. Without weights I can fall comfortably up to about 122 (after that it starts to hurt a bit.) This past weekend I was participating in the New England 100 way attempts and I was docking right on the base averaging about 128 mph fall rate (going as high as 138) wearing lead (15 lbs.) It is a great tool that will significantly help your skydiving.

In response to the actual question, I have to agree with AggieDave - it depends on the material and cut of the suit. My Tony Suit is tight with "fast" materials (don't remember which) and I fall faster in it than shorts and a tee.

Good luck!
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

Weights do help me alright - it's far less of a struggle. But I've just downsized to a Silhouette 150 which makes adding 10 pounds of lead quite a bit more exciting. Last time I ran out of arm extension hauling on the brakes! My weight vest is configured like a belt - the lead shot bags run in lines around the bottom part of the vest with about 3 pounds or so sewn into the back. It's comfy enough sitting up in an Otter but not lying down in a Cessna. I feel like I should start into labour!

Coaching and tunnel time would be great - I'll have to make some plans to visit Florida sometime. Maybe a new jumpsuit would help too if I can get proper measurements. Or spray silicone on the one I have. Grease me up woman B|.
Thanks guys.

Can you say nylon? A good dealer of any jumpsuit should help you decided what is best for what you want to do.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I have a javelin with pockets in the back pad for weights. This would get them off your belly if getting a new rig is in your future.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey