BikerBabe

For Love of the Game

I was just re-reading some of the posts in the "realtive work" topic, and I felt compelled to tell the story of my week. I put it in here because it's about an FS competition, but I suppose it could apply anywhere.

I spent the last nine days in Eloy, the first four of them at my umpteenth Airspeed skills camp (can I just set up a trust fund for DanBC's kids here and now, so I don't have to worry about writing him all those checks? :P), and the last four training and competing with my team, Audacity.

Audacity is not just our name, but our philosophy. Between the four of us, we have a TOTAL of 2000 jumps. None of us has done a serious team before. We just found our permanent fourth a month ago. But that doesn't stop us from choosing to compete in the advanced class from the start. We like a challenge...we're audacious that way. ;) But the absolute best thing about this team is our incredible dynamic. We click. Yes, we joke and make fun of each other, but it works. And we have fun. People can tell me all day about my skydiving, but what makes me the happiest is all the comments we get on our team dynamics and attitude toward the sport. We love this game!

On Thursday, we jumped together for only our second time, and by the time Friday was over, we had a total of 29 jumps together as a team. We'd flown each block together once, some twice. Two of our members had never seen most of the blocks before this week, save for one weather day creeping session. That's OK, we were still planning on doing AAA the next day at the SSL meet.

We had no expectations going in, and our only goals were to have fun and have a clean meet. Secretly, I hoped we'd finish the meet with a 6 average. Heck, I just wanted to be able to tell people who asked what our average is!

Two days, six rounds, and one creeper competition later (AZ gets windy this time of year), we couldn't be happier. Audactiy may have finished last, but we kicked ass. We finished with a 7.83 average in the AAA class, had NO busts, came away with definite technical goals for the rest of the year, and most importantly, we had FUN. Actually, I feel a bit guilty for so seriously underestimating what my team (and myself) was capable of going into the meet.

I'm happy that some of my personal heroes in this sport told us how well we did when it was all over. We weren't trying to impress anyone but ourselves, but the fact that we did makes it all the more affirming.

I'll tell you though, the night before the meet, everyone we talked to did a double take when we said we were going AAA. "Are you sure? The big boys?" they asked.

Absolutely. We're Audacity. We love this game.

Blues...
Andi
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I adore you, Andi. You rawk. What you give is your heart, nothing less. And yes, while it's audacious, it's also absolutely perfect. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~