steve1

Most efficient track

I feel like I need to improve my tracking ability. In the past I haven't been dearching much. I've found in some recent attempts that if I go immediately into the proper track position I experience some buffeting and even some instability. I mean it feels totally different from the way I've tracked in the past, and I wonder if I'm dearching a little too much. lately I've been moving more slowly into the proper track postion and not dearching much, and I seem to be having better luck. I'm also making sure that I lock my knees now, since I jump with booties and there is a tendency not to lock them out. Anyone have any suggestion for pulling off a good track? This is such an important skill in RW, that I want to get better at it. Thanks, Steve1

I feel like I need to improve my tracking ability. In the past I haven't been dearching much. I've found in some recent attempts that if I go immediately into the proper track position I experience some buffeting and even some instability. I mean it feels totally different from the way I've tracked in the past, and I wonder if I'm dearching a little too much. lately I've been moving more slowly into the proper track postion and not dearching much, and I seem to be having better luck. I'm also making sure that I lock my knees now, since I jump with booties and there is a tendency not to lock them out. Anyone have any suggestion for pulling off a good track? This is such an important skill in RW, that I want to get better at it. Thanks, Steve1

Go on a tracking dive with someone who's good at it and can critique your technique and/or video it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Skycat,
You know I saw that article, but have yet to read it. I watched the Lost Prairie video last night, for the first time. I'll have to see if I can find you in it. I'm sure you're in the part where all the state record women introduced themselves.

Kallend,
I've never been on a tracking dive. Sounds like fun, and it would be a good way to learn to track properly. Steve1

Skycat,
You know I saw that article, but have yet to read it. I watched the Lost Prairie video last night, for the first time. I'll have to see if I can find you in it. I'm sure you're in the part where all the state record women introduced themselves.
. Steve1

Yep, I'm one of the last girls...Kelli from Denver. :D

Btw....watch the top of the screen on the 1st record attempt dive. I'm the one hauling ass tracking away from the outer loop. So read the article, cause Derek and I track the exact same way.
Fly it like you stole it!

if I go immediately into the proper track position I experience some buffeting and even some instability.

This is because you need to have forward speed BEFORE dearching to gain the benefit of dearching. If you immediately dearch without moving forward, the 'airfoil' you just created is 'stalled' and you'll just buffet and fall just like a stalled aircraft. Forward speed is required before creating an effective airfoil to provide the desired lift and flatter track.

Get your legs out first, get some forward speed (not a dive), and gradually transition into your 'proper track position'. You should see significant improvement.

Rock