mjasantos

... on the Future Format of FS Competitions...

Absolutely - and it doesn't matter how many rounds. You just prepare for whatever it
is, and by definition the winning team is the "best".

but to determine the "best" you need to exhaust the whole dive pool (4& 8 way) that
lends itself to a 10 round meet. so there you have it.

But the dive pool itself is arbitrary both in type and number of formations and blocks. It changes from year to year. What is so special about exhausting an arbitrary sized dive pool?

If they went to 3 rounds, the dive pool could be smaller and they could still exhaust it. Your argument is not logical.

and neither are yours, but that's the way it goes I guess.

Do you dispute that the size of the dive pool is arbitrary? I don't recall it's being handed down from the mountain top on stone tablets.

Do you dispute that a dive pool can be created of such a size that it can be exhausted after any pre-set number of rounds ( 3, 8, 10, whatever)?

I dispute that it's actually necessary to exhaust the dive pool, but that's beside the point. If you want to exhaust it you can, for any number of rounds, by making it the right size.

At least I explained why I think your position is not logical.

I dispute that it's actually necessary to exhaust the dive pool, but that's beside the point. If you want to exhaust it you can, for any number of rounds, by making it the right size.

and by the same token, baseball, basketball, cricket, water polo, lacross, tennis, and every other stinking sport is illogical. someone(s) at some time decided that the rules, size of court, number of bases, height of the basket, the number of wickets, etc were what they were and would determine the winner. We who actually compete in 4way do not like the proposal to limit rounds, working time, and take the exit out of the equation, it does not make the sport spectator friendly, it (shorter working time) would actually test teams less (take memory out, take mirrors out, etc). you can call anything illogical, it's easy to sit back and say that doesn't make sense to me, but be that as it may, the competitors in this areana actaully can have a voice, and that voice is overwhelmingly in favor of the competitions as is (the latest World Cup is prime example with all the standing changes). Your point is moot because every sport is based on an arbitary guideline and development.

and by the same token, baseball, basketball, cricket, water polo, lacross, tennis, and every other stinking sport is illogical. someone(s) at some time decided that the rules, size of court, number of bases, height of the basket, the number of wickets, etc were what they were and would determine the winner. We who actually compete in 4way do not like the proposal to limit rounds, working time, and take the exit out of the equation, it does not make the sport spectator friendly, it (shorter working time) would actually test teams less (take memory out, take mirrors out, etc). you can call anything illogical, it's easy to sit back and say that doesn't make sense to me, but be that as it may, the competitors in this areana actaully can have a voice, and that voice is overwhelmingly in favor of the competitions as is (the latest World Cup is prime example with all the standing changes). Your point is moot because every sport is based on an arbitary guideline and development.

My point exactly, so claiming 3 rounds is a poor choice is not based on logic. It's based on emotion.

Saying that the competitors don't like it IS a valid reason for opposing it, and is honest too.

It's always about 10-way with you guys from SDC isn't it? ;)

Now, now, I'm almost certain there -are- other events. Some -may- even have a few more participants. :D

4-way and 8-way were the only events with more participants at each of the last two nationals. 10-way had more participants than 16-way, more than all the CRW classes combined, more than all the "Free" events combined, and more than all the "classic" and sport accuracy events combined.

:P

Hi,

On this subject, last October 12 I've got the following e-mail from Ms. Fiona McEachern (Chairman of the IPC Formation Skydiving Committee - http://www.fai.org/parachuting/committees/fs/):

Hi all,
There is currently no plan to change the number of rounds for FS.
Regards
Fiona McEachern
Chair, FS Committee

Blue Skies! B|
------------------------------
-----------------------------
Mario Santos
Portugal

Just yankin' your chain a little since you dropped into this conversation that was (at least to me) pretty obviously about 4-way. :P

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition, Paul.

Still, it's an enigma that 10-way is always considered to have marginal support, when in fact it's the 3rd most popular event at nationals.[:/]