EvilGenius

Turns under canopy

I'm new to skydiving and before jumping I'd never though about how much fun flying a canopy could be, free fall.....amazing....but nobody told me flying a canopy could be such a blast. I started realsing it's a discipline in it's own right and reading about drills to understand how your canopy responds......then sadly I started learning about canopy collisions and how unpredictability costs lives. So, here is my question, when is it safe and acceptable to make turns, run drills, learn to fly? Is a hop and pop the only correct option or are there other safe situations to experiment?

Whenever you are far away from others. Can be a high hop and pop or a high pull after some freefall. Can be an own line after everyone else has jumped.

Talk to your Chief instructor what would work best on your DZ

The canopy collisions you are hearing about generally occur over one of the landing areas when there is a conflict during final landing maneuvers. If you would like to do canopy drills all you need to do is find your own airspace away from the landing area (preferably upwind so you can make it back when you need to). You should always be on the lookout for other canopies though.