DemonPilot

Firebird Demon - opinions

I'm the new owner of Demon 90 form Firebird. Any opinions about this canopy,

- packing,
- openings,
- fly characteristics/ any comparison to other canopies?

My first impression after 20 jumps (WL 1,8):

It is fun canopy to fly, easy to pack, very sensitive, direct on toggles and there is or could be an issue. This canopy stalls quickly.
On landing I flare no more than to the level of my shoulder - may be 6 inches more.
Has anyone who jump this canopy extended steering lines (the lowest part) to resolve this issue?

I used to have a 100 that I loaded between 1.8 and 1.9.

I also noticed it stalled quite easily, rarely flaring below chest level. My brakes could've done with a few more inches due to slight tail deflection on fronts. It was a very responsive canopy and I enjoyed flying it for the ten or so jumps I put on it. It did seem to have a relatively short recovery arc...

It packed very big though, more like a 120 at least.

I packed it the same as every other canopy I've jumped.
I'm not versed enough on it to give a suitable or credible comparison to other canopies.

I do have some regrets from selling it on as it was fun!
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

I owned a Demon 100 and put a competition lines on it afterwards. Also owned a 90 with competition lineset (wingload 2.2).
Standard, these steering lines are very short so easy to stall the canopy. Therefore I made the steering lines 5 inches longer (24" risers)
- packes big due to the double coated fabric.
- openings are fast but not hard, the first 100 jumps onheading, afterwards..; that's another story ;-)
- Flying, very responsive on toggle turns.. didn't liked it very much for backriser landings. (to direct on backrisers)

From my point of view, the demon might be a fun canopy to fly for some people. But I think toggle-whipping is an old-school facet of the sport. Canopy-Piloting has evolved a lot over the past 10 years, modern canopies might not turn as hard as a demon on toggles, but they dive a lot more, stall way later - and don't forget, they flare for miles compared to a demon.

If you like toggle whipping a canopy that stalls around shoulder level, but turns like crazy - go for it. I would much rather jump a canopy that can generate lots of speed but still flies fine at super slow speeds, is easy to control without the need of toggles and flares like crazy.