spencer

Are good Swoopers born or made

Can you teach someone to swoop, when does that first 180 come, and the 360.
Are some people doing 360s after 200 jumps, and others still doing the down wind cross wind into wind after 5,000 jump. Horses for courses.
I have seen swoopers have a influence on other jumper, who then try and I have visited in hospital. These can be instructors who fcuk up. Ive seen it.
I know your going to say canopy courses, but is there some way of teaching yourself as well.
Im no 20yr old who is going to scream in , I want to jump again, if anything Im a little over conservative.
But I just love to watch it, and long to be able to do it.
I have over 2,500 jumps, but feel no closer to swooping than when I had 500 jumps.

Good swoopers are made. Through thousands of jumps. Not just any jump, but jumps with the intent of learning and flying their canopy. Just as it takes a decent number of jumps to become an expert RW flier or FF jumper; it takes a decent number of jumps to become even a safe novice swooper.

Learning to swoop by yourself is an arduous process that is wrought with danger. Having an experienced outside influence helping you learn through the concepts with video debriefs is a benefit.

Swooping isn't about the degree of the turn, it is about the application of induced speed to further the travel across the ground. If someone can't fly a solid pattern to a double front approach safely and correctly, it doesn't matter if they do a 1,000 degree turn. A consistent safe swoop will never happen.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Born.

And then, they are made into good swoopers.

They have natural talent to begin with but in particular, they have good instincts. And sensitivity, and keen levels of observation. And humility. And in-the-beginning..some measure of luck. But above all, they are adaptive and _smart_. I watched Jonathan Tagle make the transition, he personifies all of this.

Execptionally good swoopers are born with the natural instinct, and made to perfection with training.
However i believe that anyone can become mediocre swooper when they have desire and believe in themselves that they can go farther and faster on every single jump.

I've seen kids flying xbrace at 200 jumps, those are the ones with instinct.
I've also seen kids who crashed into tree lines at 200 jumps and 1000 jumps later they are flying crossbrace doing decent swoops out of them

And bigger turn comes to play when you do not have enough money to downsize or stay under same wing same wingload but wants to go further and faster cuz smaller turn gets boring after so many jumps.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

But a natural talented good swooper, might not know the technical side of swooping, and will not understand when things dont work out or go wrong, because they are relying only on there talent to perform. And when the presure is on, the cracks will start to appear.
The natural will pull off the long one , but the guy who has worked hard and can understand what and why it happens and has a rock solid technical swoop will be more consistent over a peroid of time, not a flash in the pan.
I think.

what if both has same amount of jumps and same amount of dedication over swooping over same period of time???

just like any sport you can get good to certain degree but to pass that average semi-pro level you need natural talent that you were born with.

everyone can consistently safely swoop sub 100 loading more than 2.1 but not everyone can rip 500+ footer
Bernie Sanders for President 2016