Pattybeeny

Canopy Control

I wanted to start a thread to give some credit to those that have been actively attempting to battle the string of canopy related incidents. At our local drop zone a basic canopy course was developed by Rich Winstock and has been offered continuously over the last few weeks. The goal is to get everyone that actively jumps as well as all new students to take the course. I have taken several courses by the big dogs out there and would compare this to any or all of them. It was all inclusive and included aerodynamics, patterns, sight picture, canopy construction, materials, all inputs, sight picture, collision avoidance,,,,etc. The course was followed by 5 videoed and debriefed hop and pops.

I think all drop zones should take a similar proactive approach. The ironic thing is there may not be a way to track the positive impact that this might have, because you will never know if a fatality or serious injury was avoided because of it.

I know Rich is a National Director with USPA and also gave some insight to what is being done from an organizational perspective. As a seasoned jumper I am impressed to say the least. I hope some of the proposed changes get some much needed attention.

Are instructors at your dz doing anything similar?

Justin Thornton and myself have integrated our canopy control course with Mile-Hi skydivings student program. Everyone out of AFF will now be going through this course.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

that is awesome - I'm very glad to hear other DZ's are offering the classes. It's amazing to me that other DZ's are "not" offering the classes. Swoop is teaching our classes at SDLI - and he's been doing a phenominal job. What's great is that instead of having one "expert" come in - spend a weekend with us - then leaving and we are there to fend for ourselves -- we have Swoop on hand every day to ask him questions, get his feedback, and have him "continue" working with us on every jump. This is why I think having DZ's host these is very important. After the class I still wanted to practice and perfect a lot of things I was taught and picked Swoop's brain A LOT -- and he was always there with a smile offering guidance and suggestions.

The same way we all need training before we are allowed on the road to drive - I think these classes are VERY important. AFF teaches us how to fly and be prepared for a malfunction or emergency -- but the canopy piloting portion is left up to us...and yes, we get a brief "these are your toggles and this is how you use them" but to be fully prepared and adequate in the air requires thorough training -- and I think those that don't take the opportunity to learn as much as they can are simply missing out.

thats awesome. Id love to see something like that happen out in so cal. we got alot of people that could start something like that up.

The swoop clubs etc are agreat but instilling it right out of aff mandatorily or in the program seems much better as not everyone wants to learn through instruction some just go for it and they learn or they dont