npgraphicdesign

Getting back to DZ from a bad spot.

As further clarification, my Xaos can easily outglide my Delta. How? Fly the Xaos with a 25 mph tailwind and the Delta into a 25 mph headwind. The measure of glide is relative to the ground so the Xaos wins hands down. Published glide ratios like 9.6:1 for the Delta and (guessing) 2:1 for the Xaos simply imply speed over ground vs fall rate under identical conditions, those conditions being totally still air without any horizontal or vertical component.

Glide ratio for a wing in full brakes and a tailwind could be the same as accelerated and a headwind.

Lets say you and I do a two-way with identical canopies at the same pilot weight. After a few points we realize that we're on a long spot so we both deploy at the same altitude, around 8,000' AGL. After breathing a sigh of relief from a near mid-air we head back to the DZ in a 25 mph headwind which is near our canopy trim speed. You use a little rear riser which slows you slightly but gives you much more airtime, I get on fronts and sink out but travel 1/4 mile forward before landing. I just make the DZ in time to watch you land in farmer McNasty's freshly manured pasture. You are NOT getting a retrieve in my rig.

Using rears will never increase your forward airspeed as much as fronts even though it may improve your glide ratio over the ground in still air.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Using rears will never increase your forward airspeed as much as fronts even though it may improve your glide ratio over the ground in still air.

I agree with you here. Speeds to fly. you will spend less time in the head wind. There are other things to do to get a a few extra points on glide like pick up the legs and spread the chest strap all the way. I have a 31 inch chest strap. Picking up your legs helps your glide and penetration ( speed over the ground)no need to land in shit.

I knew a guy who would flip-climb up into his risers of his velocity holding the fronts out with his feet and and the rears out with his back flying suprone, fast and flat like a high performance hang glider