Neoslim22

canopy landing question

I have around 210 jumps and have been jumping a saber2 190 and a pd190 for some time. I have had no problem landing them at all, would stand them up 99% of the time. Just downsized to a Spectra 170 and I am having problems landing it on no wind days. If the wind is 5-10knts I can stand it up just fine, but if there is no wind it seems like I am coming in steep and fast. Most of the time with no wind I will come in at half breaks and then do a normal flare. I just always get a really hard landing IF I stand it up or will end up on my butt sliding in. Anyone got a few tips?? I have about 20jumps on the 170 7cell spectra.

A couple of points spring to mind:

1. The flare characteristics of your new canopy could be very different from the previous canopies, so try a few practice flares up high to identify the "sweet spot" (i.e. the point in the flare at which you swing under the canopy and level off to horizontal flight).

2. Try a full flight approach vs using half brakes. This will give you more airspeed to convert into lift when you flare.

Good luck!
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Most of the time with no wind I will come in at half breaks and then do a normal flare.

Stop doing that, it's not helping. If there's any wind at all, it's actually making your approach steeper by reducing your ground speed. Even if there's no wind at all, it's reducing your airpseed, and that's not helping your flare.

Not to mention that your approach, even in full flight, will be steeper than on a 9-cell (like your other canopies). Additionally, the smaller canopy will come in faster than your others, so you're got steeper and faster, all at once.

The trick is to not let it scare you and screw up your flare. Flare you canopy just engouh to get it level off and fly straight across the ground (aka the 'sweet spot'). Then FINISH YOUR FLARE.

It a basic element of any landing, but you need to finish your flare before you touch down. It's common ofr jumpers transitioning to a faster canopy to flare most of the way, and then just try to run it out or slide in. They let the speed overlaod their brains, and they just want to get their feet on the ground. Just finish the flare, and keep your feet up until you do. It will slow down just fine.

I would only add that the reason you have had some hard landings is because you have been coming in on half-brakes, thereby reducing the flare power of the canopy as you don't have the speed to convert into lift. Do what Dave suggested to fix that.

The Spectre is a 7-cell canopy; the other canopies you have flown are 9-cell. 7-cells are less efficient at generating lift and their glide ratios are less, and thereby have a steeper approach angle. However, 7-cells generally have better opening and slow flight characteristics.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

I have around 210 jumps and have been jumping a saber2 190 and a pd190 for some time. I have had no problem landing them at all, would stand them up 99% of the time. Just downsized to a Spectra 170 and I am having problems landing it on no wind days. If the wind is 5-10knts I can stand it up just fine, but if there is no wind it seems like I am coming in steep and fast. Most of the time with no wind I will come in at half breaks and then do a normal flare. I just always get a really hard landing IF I stand it up or will end up on my butt sliding in. Anyone got a few tips?? I have about 20jumps on the 170 7cell spectra.

Your timing+speed have to be much more accurate to land comfortably from half brakes. Mastering full-flight landings first would be a good idea. Then get the hang of braked landings under that canopy because it's a survival skill to use after finishing a flat turn too low to return to full flight before flaring.

Everyone has posted some good answers but the real question is, if you are downsizing why have you not taken a canopy course? It is common for jumpers to get bored with their current canopy and think that downsizing will present a new challenge, like how to land a smaller canopy in your case. In a good canopy control course you will learn how to use all the input controls and a few different ways to flare depending on your landing. I think you would be amazed at how much you could learn from one of these courses. There is a reason that pro swoopers have thousands of jumps, it takes awhile to learn and practice. You are not going to resolve your landing based only on advice online, not to be negative. Good luck!

Save that "coaching" money for jump tix

Sure, if you want to spend 100's of jumps figuring something out.

Personally, I'd rather get some coaching (and a good coach will get you enough so you can debrief yourself) and then focus on using those 100's of jumps to refine the technique.

Personal preference I suppose, but I prefer to not repeat mistakes on things we've already learned how to do.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Save that "coaching" money for jump tix

Sure, if you want to spend 100's of jumps figuring something out.

Personally, I'd rather get some coaching (and a good coach will get you enough so you can debrief yourself) and then focus on using those 100's of jumps to refine the technique.

Personal preference I suppose, but I prefer to not repeat mistakes on things we've already learned how to do.

Blues,
Ian

i took canopy-classes and mentoring from the beginning on pretty much; now, if i've done the same for freeflying, which i initially refused, i'd be MUCH better now, and i'd have a ton more fun. biggest mistake ever! now i usually do a coaching jump every weekend its offered, and my flying has improved way much more since.. :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda