shah269

student help needed

Hi every one I'm on jump 7 of my AFP.
I'm flying a 9 cell Telesis, not sure of the size, or the number of jumps on the system but I weigh 190lbs at 5'9".
I'm having a very hard time with my landings. Either I come in too low or too high. Are there any rules of thumb which I can utilize?
Such as given a 0mph condition what should be my final approach? And can I rely on my altimeter at such an altitude to help me set up for final?
Also I've noticed that some people pull the togles half way before starting their final, what's that about? Is it just to square up and to take stock of the situation?
Thanks in advance.
Shah
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I know that your looking for an answer to your questions and I think my best advice would be to talk to your instructors. I really try to keep students away from a place like this until they can make their own decisions on whats safe and whats not. My girlfriend just graduated AFF last week and I told her to stay off these forums and to only listen to her instructors and the select few at the DZ who have a students best interest. I gave her limited info while she was going thur AFF since Im only a coach.

You might find it helpful to have a friend videotape your landings and then review them with your instructor.

Be sure to discuss with your instructor where you should be LOOKING.

Never thought of that! Thank you!

As for depth perception how do you visually determine how high you are with respect to your final?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

As for depth perception how do you visually determine how high you are with respect to your final?

LOTS of experience!:)

quit looking at the ground when landing, it is almost impossible to tell how high you are that way. look out in front of you, it is not your natural reaction to look out in front of you so you will have to force it until it becomes natural.

LOTS of experience!:)

quit looking at the ground when landing, it is almost impossible to tell how high you are that way. look out in front of you, it is not your natural reaction to look out in front of you so you will have to force it until it becomes natural.

As an AFF instructor, this is one of the most common problems that I see. A guy coming in to land watching the radio operator over his sholder as he flies past him, or a guy staring straight down, or just in general not looking where you are going.

When flying a student canopy, for the most part you aren't going down, you need to be looking out ahead of you, a bit past the point of where you think you are going to be landing. Depth perception looking down at the flat earth doesn't kick in until it is too late for it to be any good.

You're local instructors should be able to help you with your landing issues. I highly advise you to not take any advice from the internet and just go out and try it. (Even mine) because I don't know you, the gear, the dropzone, your training, anything. The instructors at your DZ do.

They are the ones that can help you most at this point.

Stay safe and blue ones!

:)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka