mixedup

training tips for starting out with booties (boosters)?

Any training tips for starting out with booties (boosters) for the first time? I'd be happy to soak up an general info/tips/links or otherwise...

* I understand you need to keep your feet pointed to keep the flaps tight? (the only solo jump I've done to date with them on they were flapping like anything and I this I wasn't probably doing this...)

* do you need to slightly angle your feet so the wind hits more-so one of the sides? If you're just flying in the stable position for example would you be having your legs/feet in different position? I'm assuming you would need slightly less leg extension, but I guess I'm more talking about the angle of your legs/feet here

* when turning with legs is it the same as without booties? or is there a subtle difference in how you'd turn with booties as opposed to without them? (hopefully not a dumb question)

* any tips on what to try to achieve in some training solo jumps with them prior to doing 4-ways with them on? Perhaps just (a) stable position and (b) turns is enough...

thanks

(another in between getting out to the DZ question)
Parachutist Game IOS Android YouT

An Airspeed curriculum mantis camp at the tunnel is just the thing. Highly recommend it.

this link we put down some advice for first time suit buyers - (or long time users that don't really understand them....:ph34r:)

http://www.skimmersuits.com/Things-to-Know.html

Checking the Fit of Your Booties

If you have purchased an RW suit with booties here is how to check the fit of the booties. Put the suit on with the shoes you wear while skydiving. You should be able to put your suit on while wearing your shoes, pulling the bootie over the toe of your shoes after you have the suit on may tear the foot cup. Make sure your foot is all the way forward into the foot cup. Your booties will look loose while standing straight up, as will the torso (remember you will use this while arching, not while standing and looking down). Putting on a rig will help ensure the booties fit correctly. Lay down on the floor and arch, the booties should tighten from knee to toe as you bend your leg toward 90degrees - point your toes to pull the bootie taut. If you can’t point your toes or your toes are being pulled down the booties are too tight. If your feet completely straighten out, then they are too long. The goal is with a good arch, and knees bent to not quite a right angle, you can point your toes to just past a right angle and the booties snap taut.

Flying Your Booties

If the fit is right and you are having troubles with them in freefall you may need to adjust your body position and put some downward pressure in the toes, you should try to feel a lot more pressure from the new booties than you are used to without booties. If you don’t press on the air, then your booties might flap or feel loose, they need to catch the air smoothly (like a boat sail) and stay pressurized, keep them in the wind and resist bending your knees and “hiding” them from the air above your thighs. Avoid “bouncing” them in and out of the air stream (happy feet), press on the air (straighten the knees slightly more) and hold them in the wind. It’ll take more than one jump to get the hang of the booties if you haven’t jumped with booties before. Fly the booties don’t let them fly you!

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

* I understand you need to keep your feet pointed to keep the flaps tight? (the only solo jump I've done to date with them on they were flapping like anything and I this I wasn't probably doing this...) you need to keep them taut, but it shouldn't require too much thought - point your toes extend your legs

* do you need to slightly angle your feet so the wind hits more-so one of the sides? not really, angle in or out is used to actively activate the 'sail' of the bootie for either direction - neutral is a ready position with slight leg extension to keep air on the surface If you're just flying in the stable position for example would you be having your legs/feet in different position? I'm assuming you would need slightly less leg extension, but I guess I'm more talking about the angle of your legs/feet here actually, it could be slightly MORE extension - counter the forward thrust by staying narrow and sitting up higher with the upper torso

* when turning with legs is it the same as without booties? or is there a subtle difference in how you'd turn with booties as opposed to without them? (hopefully not a dumb question) I don't know how you turn now, so can't comment - you can make really good center point turns with just arms, or just legs, or using both - a good mantis camp is a good way to learn this and more. But, for leg turns, you can generate a LOT more power with good fitting booties - that's a LOT more surface area to work with - learn to use it

* any tips on what to try to achieve in some training solo jumps with them prior to doing 4-ways with them on? Perhaps just (a) stable position and (b) turns is enough... lots of drills, if you can't afford a tunnel camp for mantis training, it's wouldn't hurt to pull up the curriculum - forward and back, side sliding, hopping, in addition to neutral (passive and active power - holding ground) and turns, all are powered better with booties - so you can practice everything

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

1 windtunnel session was very valuable when I first got my bootie suit. The instructor showed me the dropped knee turns and up to that point never realized I could turn that fast. It was a radical departure from the student propeller turns. Eventually you will have a jump where one or more boots fall off your toe, at first it feels weird unless you dump the other toe, but you can compensate for it. Might be worth practising that but I am not an instructor...