KEVINLOVE

SPEED RIDING ON A SNOWBOARD

One of my first students, who was what I would consider a advanced snowboarder, had very little to no trouble speed flying with a snowboard.

One thing I will say is that as a novice skiier he tried "short" skis and preferred speed flying with skis over a snowboard.

I'll try and post a pick or two of Nick Armstrong speed ridding on a board.

Kevin

very impressive!!

I would love to come out there and fly with you guys....

What would be the name of the airport I would fly into?

I run my own school for both speed flying and riding in the winter....

what would the cost be for me? Do you hike or is there access by vehicle to the summit.

nice vids I'm rarely impressed at "sites" but am with yours ..

Kevin D Love www.myspace.com/kevin_swoops

check it out if you havn't allready

peace

One of my first students, who was what I would consider a advanced snowboarder, had very little to no trouble speed flying with a snowboard.

One thing I will say is that as a novice skiier he tried "short" skis and preferred speed flying with skis over a snowboard.

It is possible to use a snowboard, but as indicated skis are best. The main reason for this is that with skis you dont have to twist your upper body in the direction you are travelling. If using a seat harness which most speed-wings use, it has a major effect on the canopy as it unbalances it every time you land from a jump/glide and twist the board back to direction of travel. This is beacuse the wing attaches near hips/waist.

If using a snowboard you would be best to fly with a skydiving type harness so the canopy attaches at the shoulder. This setup then allows for moving your hips and waist with no effect on the canopy.
http://www.speed-flying.com - No:1 for the worldwide Speed-Riding Community

I would have to agree... but flying with the "shoulder" attachments will not allow the pilot to utalize the advantages of a paragliding harness.

With practice, and the ability of a snowboarder to "adjust" to using a snowbaord with a paragliding style harness, a snowboarder could make it work... but it is the "harder" way.

Also, consider accessing the backcountry via skinning, difficult on a snowboard.

All in all skiis are the best way to approach, learn speed riding

K

Using a skydiving harness with shoulder attachment points may be better, but the twist you do is still changing the load on the leg straps which pull directly on your risers. It's not a big problem on bigger canopies, like 170ish plus (depending on the wingload). I tried it with both, with 170sqft and with 150sqft and on the latter I experienced some major steering problems :S.

I'm a British nanny, and I'm dangerous!