ptwob267

Cascaded HMA for Xaos 21 and 27

Now I know there are some precision haters out there and Ill agree there are some downsides to the Xaos line that may be better in some other high performace 7 cells, but if we could leave those aside for this it would be greatly appreciated.

My question is, is there anyone out there doing a cascaded 350 HMA lineset for the Xaos canopies?

If so do you think there would really be that much difference in the performace of the canopy since the current lineset, though small, is none cascaded? I know the obvious that there will be less drag most definately but what about dive performance?

Thanks

i competed at the second world cup in lake wales with a cascaded xaos 27. the cascaded lineset had some very different flying characteristics from the continuous. it definately improved speed and distance considerably. however. the center of gravity was way far forward making the front riser pressure very heavy compared the the same canopy with the continuous lineset. it also had alot of slack in the C & D lines. typical of early cascaded crossbraced canopies. it also had a shorter recovery arc , i moved my turn from 600' to 450'. it was for these reasons that i originally changed to the jvx.

hope this helped.

Funny, I like the continuous lines of my Xaos!
I think it is part of what makes the canopy what it is. The best openings of any X-braced, lighter front riser pressure. ect. It also has more life in the line set with continuous lines. I feel confortable putting 5 - 600 jumps on the lineset (replacing steering lines at 300).

I do agree if your talking strickly speed and performance cascaded is better, but that is why I just bought a JVX for swooping (Although has more to offer then just Cascades). If you want Cascaded HMA you could chose a different wing.

Anyway for me the Xaos is awsome for Freefly, Camera, Big Way Head Down Camps, Fun jumps ect. and I still have fun with the landings.

If you just want swoop distance and conpetition results probably JVX or Velocity will be better. Although some pilots can really make the Xaos-27 go the distance!

Just my 2 cents.

I just got back from Eloy. First off, 180s suck!! :S

I asked Jeffro about cascaded linesets for Xaos canopies. He said he had one last year and hated what it did to the canopy - shorter recovery arc and a much narrower window in which to throw an effective turn. The team is all back on the standard factory set now, with no plans of going back.