NewClearSports

JVX Pack - How Tight is TOO Tight?

I'm going to ask my rigger, but I thought I would ask here as well.

I just got my new JVX 84 Hybrid (Top Skin Sail)in the mail today and as you probably know it packs very big!

Wings W-4 (Sized for a 105 conventional Main currently have 88 Xaos-21)
After a few attemps I managed to get it in the D-bag and closed it up, BUT it is Tight, Very Tight. It took alot of mussle to close, but I havn't yet lengthened my closing loop.

When I tested pull force to open it the pin poped easy enough but the whole rig lifted off the ground before the bag came out. I had to shake the suspended bridal to get it to finaly fall out.

Besides a PC in tow, what other mals can occur because of too tight a fit?

What do you think, would you jump it ??

Thanks for you help!

Line twists from uneven release of the d-bag and possibly from shitty body position when you're trying to see what's not happening. Give it a try, but pull very high for at least a few jumps to get a number of deployments, both from terminal and sub - unless you don't intend to go terminal.
"Bodygolfing" isn't as much fun as it sounds. People get pissed when you don't replace your divets.

Ouch,

I also have a JVX84hybrid, I was under the impression that it would have less packig volume than it did also. Fortunately for me my container is made to fit a 120.
When I asked Jim Slaton what the difference in pack voulume would be he said it would pack like a 99 or some thing.

I was thinking 99 crossfire or the likes but what he meant was 99 jvx zp. which is quite some difference!

so it packs like a 99 JVX ZP and like a 129 crossfire or similar!

mine is tight too but I had no hesitation when i deployed. however I could not lift the container off the ground like you can when simulating a deployment. If you jump yours in the state it is in you are asking for trouble if you ask me!

Good luck, I suggest getting a pond rig.

;)

rhys
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

In my experience with putting canopy's to big into a smaller container I have had bad openings with it set up like that. You will get much better openings with a properly sized container. Besides upsizing your container will allow you to upsize your reserve.

Hopefully PD will introduce the optima reserve in a larger size than a 143 soon. I still do not understand why they are limiting their new reserve to 143 and smaller.

Yea, I'm not jumping it untill I have my swoop rig put together.

One of the best reasons was given in the rigging forum.

If I get a PC in tow and then dump my reserve, Once the pressure is off the main D bag will then release most likely giving me a 2 out senerio or worse.

NOT what I want on my 1st jump with the JVX.

Well as you know Rob the weather here in Canada is crap right now anyway.

It's just hard to get such an awsome new toy and not be able to play with it right away :)