br0k3n

My Stiletto

Im currently flying a Stiletto 107 (about 1.5 / 1.6WL) I have about 50 jumps on it now, and Im thinking of getting rid of it. The main and really only reason is that im finding the recover arc on it is very short. I was hoping to have a progression from my previous canopy in terms of dive and recover, also my plan was that this would be the canopy that I transition to x-braced from.

I was flying a Safire 119 previous to moving to the Stiletto and I must say that there is not much difference between the 2 canopies, of course the Stiletto flies faster and turns quicker. However when it comes to swooping I was pulling a 270 on the Safire at 450ft and on the Stiletto im turning it at 480ft, and I'm still on double fronts when I come out of the turn, to keep it diving.... admiteddly I am getting some good swoops, but then I was getting some good swoops under the Safire.

My initial thought was to replace the Stiletto with a Katana as I have read and been told that it is basically a non x-braced Velo, and this would seem to fit with what im looking for in my next canopy. However I have heard mixed reviews about this canopy, poeple either love it or hate it, a mate of mine chopped his Katana 8 times in about 12 months, plus had whole bunch of problems with the lineset!!!! maybe he was just unlucky?

So my question is what would be the best way forward? Do I look at a different canopy, am I underloading the Stiletto, is what I have described other peoples experience of the canopy? was I expecting to much from the Stiletto?? if I am to chance canopies would the Katana be the best choice?

Thanks

Oli
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

So my question is what would be the best way forward?

Demo the KA 107 and see if it fits your needs.

You can read what I and everyone else say about the canopy but in the end you will need to find what fits you the best.

Additionally, since KA's are now lined (standard) with HMA there have been no 'lineset' issues.

Have fun.

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

Demo the KA 107 and see if it fits your needs.

That would be ideal, unfortunately here in Australia its almost impossible to get hold of demo canopies, unless you know someone who is jumping the canopy you are interested in, and will let you borrow it for a few jumps.
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

Ahh, didn't see that.

Well, IMO, the KA is a good stepping stone to a X-braced. Particularly if you like the 'feel' and characteristics of Performance Designs products.

A jumper at our DZ spent today on my wifes 107. The jumper normally jumps a XF2 109. They liked the KA more cause of the steeper trim and they felt it (the KA) had a better flare.

Of course this is all subjective as there are others out there who feel the opposite.

I absolutely believe that the KA is the best swooping 9 cell (non x-braced) out there right now, with the XF2 being a close second.

Actually, drop Vectracide a PM. I believe he used to jump a XF2 and now jumps a KA. He will be able to give you a good overview of what he thinks the two perform like compared to one another. He also had the spectra lines on the KA and has since switched to the HMA (stock) option now so he can give you his thoughts on that change too.

Blues,
Ian
ps: In case you wonder why I reference the XF2, it's because it's the only other 9 cell out there (in that category) that is even close to the performance category you are looking for.

Ian,
Isahia was able to tell me what i would experience on the KA compared to my old XF2 and he was dead on. Sending him an e-mail through pd might be a good idea too.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I totally agree. However, some people don't believe that it's possible for sponsored atheletes or company reps to accurately represent their product against other companies products without bias. In some cases it may be true (definitely not Isaiah) but I thought an 'unbiased' reference may be the most helpful to the jumper.

So what did you think of the KA?

Blues,
Ian

I only got to demo the 120, and i loved it. I have about 300 jumps on a XF2 109 and everything you and isahia say about the differences, i agree with. If i could find a KA107 in my price range i would buy one today.:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

However, some people don't believe that it's possible for sponsored atheletes or company reps to accurately represent their product against other companies products without bias.

Most are not able to give an unbiased opinion, atleast 99% of the reps I've met in skydiving.

Isaiah is the 1%. He wants you to find the wing that is right for you. If that's not a PD wing, fine, since he knows that you'll still come back later to get your reserve or perhaps a different wing when you move on.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."