FlyAddict

Logbook - Now or Later?

I know there are already several posts about logbooks, but couldn't seem to locate the answer to my question, so ... here I am.

So here's the scoop. Initial tandem jump was 8/28/16. I immediately knew this was for me (hooked) and needed to continue, so went again a week later on 9/3/16. As soon as I returned home from vacation I went again on 9/15/16.
In addition I have had a few minutes of tunnel time.

I am going back to AZ to begin my ASP on March 19th 2017. In the meantime I will continue to jump when I can, and get as much tunnel time as I can. So - my question here is .... when do I get and start logging in a logbook?
Now, or wait until my first ground class on March 19th?
Sheri
~~Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it!~~

My opinion is you should be logging as you go. There are plenty out there that don't and you'll most likely hear their reasoning. But I do it for quite a few reasons.....mostly to get chicks (hasn't worked yet). Also some DZ's require this...and then again some don't. Just do it now and you'll be happy you did.
my pics & stuff!

One requirement to get your A license is 25 jumps.Those 3 count. Get a logbook and go get instructor signatures for those 3 tandems and you only have 22 jumps to go (minimum, you still have to pass all the skill requirements).

Note: for jumps to count towards your USPA A license they must be logged and signed by an instructor, not necessarily the one you jumped with. If the dz you jumped at is lical, call them and ask when you can come get signatures (and be respectful of a busy dz and busy instructors who might need you to wait while they earn some money before they can sign you off). If your dz is not local the question goes to the instructors you will be working with. Example: if you were my student and had jumped somewhere other than my dz, I would call the other dz and confirm that you did the jumps, that would work for me personally. Something along those lines can work for you too. Now go get a logbook and stop trying to learn from a bunch of Internet yahoos, please only listen to your instructors from here on out! Oh, and welcome to the sky my friend, this place is awesome!

linestretch

My opinion is you should be logging as you go. There are plenty out there that don't and you'll most likely hear their reasoning. But I do it for quite a few reasons.....mostly to get chicks (hasn't worked yet). Also some DZ's require this...and then again some don't. Just do it now and you'll be happy you did.

Thank you - I think I will

sammielu

One requirement to get your A license is 25 jumps.Those 3 count. Get a logbook and go get instructor signatures for those 3 tandems and you only have 22 jumps to go (minimum, you still have to pass all the skill requirements).

Note: for jumps to count towards your USPA A license they must be logged and signed by an instructor, not necessarily the one you jumped with. If the dz you jumped at is lical, call them and ask when you can come get signatures (and be respectful of a busy dz and busy instructors who might need you to wait while they earn some money before they can sign you off). If your dz is not local the question goes to the instructors you will be working with. Example: if you were my student and had jumped somewhere other than my dz, I would call the other dz and confirm that you did the jumps, that would work for me personally. Something along those lines can work for you too. Now go get a logbook and stop trying to learn from a bunch of Internet yahoos, please only listen to your instructors from here on out! Oh, and welcome to the sky my friend, this place is awesome!

I had NO idea that my tandems would count, according to the CAT A (jump 2) at Skydive AZ lists jumping with two instructors.
I did some additional reading on USPA, and did see that the tandems count, IF I follow certain procedures - which in both cases I did not -
BUT - GOOD to know from this point forward!
Thank you for the information linestretch - and I am aware, I need to listen to only my instructors. Just trying to gain as much basic info as I can.
And yes - the sky is awesome, which is why I am here and going for my license(s)!

Thanks again all!
Sheri

try to log as much as you can, make little notes that stood out about the jump. it wont seem like much now but you will be glad you did later on when you decide to open your log book to a random page and it reminds you of a jump you would have otherwise forgotten.

Hint: phone ahead - to the DZ where you did tandems - and ask manifest to look up load sheets. Those are probably the only record that includes your name and the name of your TI. With a load-sheet in hand, your TI will be far more comfortable signing your logbook.

The other reason for logging jumps, is that it forces you to think over the skydive AGAIN, improving short-term memory. Reading your logbook next year improves long-term memory.

If you do any more tandems (before AFF) ask to borrow an altimeter, ask your instructor to teach you how to steer the parachute, freefall turns, etc.
Finally, even if your tandem jumps were not part of a formal tandem-to-AFF training program, they still help reduce fear levels.

Thank you tred and riggerrob!

I went with the same TI twice, and I do have his name and information. He will remember me for several reasons! ;)

He did allow me to steer and gave me quite a bit of instruction/explanations on our second jump.

When I returned home to Washington I found myself at a local DZ doing another tandem. She (TI) was aware of my plans/goals, and allowed me to navigate part of our freefall (360s & forward backward) and steer the chute as well.

So far my fear is minimal, however the though of my initial jump with no one attached to me does make my stomach leap a bit!

Again - thank you both so much to taking the time to reply and share your thoughts and input!

Sheri

sammielu

Sheri! It's me, Sam, your TI from your 3rd jump. I'll sign your logbook anytime!! (Fb message me.)

Hi Sam! B|
I am having surgery tomorrow so it will be 4 weeks before I can get back at it and to a DZ ... but I will come find you! :);)
Sheri