frost

Longer lines - slack in the rear lines and rear risers

Was curious to hear opinions of people who have made the move to longer LINES (NOT risers).

Here is the situation. I had my VX relined with longer lines. Old Vectran was replaced with 14cm longer HMA lineset. (BTW another quality job by Skyworks rigging - thanks Mel)

After jumping the new set up a few times, i noticed that the rear risers have slack in them... i had to pull them about half an inch to feel the lift. There was a bow in the D-lines at full flight, similar to the brake lines, but not as much. Seemed that most of the suspended weight was on the front lines. I was told that that is to be expected with longer lines - as the canopy flattens out more.

The canopy flew differently which, of course, is to be expected with longer lines. i thought it was odd that it seemed to lose speed, within 2-3 seconds after coming out from the dive, and the glide wasnt as far as i was used to. I only made a few jumps on it and probably lack the time and experience under the new set up, so i cant say that I did everything right - it was just a seat of pants feeling.

So i was curious to hear from people who have made the switch. Did you feel a loss in performance? Did you have to adjust the approach turn? Or was it totally what you expected and the performance improved? Is it just a matter of getting used to the new set up?

I think i need to adjust my turn to start higher and give more time to build up speed with the longer lines, but i was very puzzled by the quick speed loss...

thanks in advance
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

this slack in the rear lines is typical of all vx's from what i've experienced. but i've only experienced the stock line sets, so i don't know if longer lines would make the "bowing" more apparent.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

I don't understand how longer lines could make a canopy fly flatter? That seems like a trim thing to me. In which case, wouldn't putting longer lines and a different trim change the way the canopy flies dramatically? Is this a common practice for the VX? Or any crossbrace for that matter? I think I'm comfortable with the way my Velo flies...

longer lines also mean more drag. but you would think the thinner HMA would more than make up for that. Are you sure you are not going faster to start with so that the reduction in speed was more noticable.

I did not get longer lines from MEL for my VX, only the cascaded HMA.

rm

the longer lines will make the canopy fly flatter . When you lenghtenthe lines you must take this into consideration . I know Mel didn't build this lineset he just installed it . You can trim the A lines down a little and get rid of the slack . How much you want to trim is up to you within reason ( an inch or so ) to get the canopy flying the way you like it . Any more questions please just ask before doing something you haven't done before .
Joe

The line set has an arch put in it .Meaning the ends of the nose are lower than the middle . (anhedral arch ) splelling sucks . When you lenghten the lines this lets the outside lines catch up with the center opening the chute up more in flght . This in turn lets the nose up a little . If you have ever jumped a removable slider you notice the difference when you remove it and it lets the chute open up and fly better . You have to be careful how much you let the lines out . Your pendulum effect will be a lot better but the openings can be your worst nightmare . If you want more explanation just pm me .
Joe

OK, i know this is very old thread.
recently, I came across a similar problem with my crossfire 1.
i had less then 20 jumps on this canopy in last 12 months, so i didn't really notice anything until one day i was watching footage from previous jump and saw that there are slack on rear line set. on the following jump day, i checked them under canopy, they have about 1 inch slack when i pull down rear riser, also on the attached picture, which can see outside line have more slack.
is it normal for crossfire 1? or it is out of trim
how does it effect to performance? is it safe to fly?

Doesn't this depends on how the weight is distributed to front and rear riser? Or is it because most of the lift is created on A and B lines?

I've had FX and VX that had very little range on its rear riser, and during its flight the rears felt super light, and felt as if all the weight were hanging on the front riser. Thus creating super heavy front riser pressure and super light/almost none existing rear riser pressure. There were slacks on D lines as well on both FX 99 and VX 84 that I had.

Newer Icarus(JVX and JFX) did get better than VX and FX but it seems like heavy front and light rear are typical Icarus canopy characteristic.

Just speculation here. We need someone like Brian Germain to chime on to these kind of topic.

I really like Katana, when it comes to riser pressure. Light front, and heavy rears. Easy to manipulate fronts when needed, and rear seems like it has tons of range before it stalls out. Favorite canopy of all time, best opening, best performance for non-xbrace. imo.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016