CanuckInUSA

Reasons why non cross-braced peeps don't compete

and again kudos marks

I cant wait for next summer up here in the north east so I can start doing the ranch canopy piloting league...and yes I will be competing on a non crossbraced canopy against people on crossbraced canopies....

and you knwo what, I will learn something, I will have fun, and I will swoop!!!

and that at the end of the day is what makes me tick...

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Look I am going to be honest I don't want to compete I am not a hardcore swooper and it has nothing to do with money ego or anything. I jump a Katana and am just a weekend warrior thats out to have a great time with my friends nothing more.

I was making a point that good ole Canuck asked a fair question and as soon as people answered they were labled pussy's etc. It seems to me as this specific discipline grows there may be a time when the organizers look at its structure and say hey it might be a good idea to have a seperate class for non crossbraced canopies. Lets just say that all you guys are right the people that dont want to compete dont because they suck, their pussys, their whatever if creating another class would bring out more pilots, and develope the sport further whats the harm? They would still be in the same competition and learning and watching the best. One point of my post was to show that a fair question was asked and as soon as there were answers the personal attacks or digs were on! By your post 5 out of 6 were all digs at me.

BTW NASCAR is going to let me race my Civic next year! I am sponsered by the local Adult Book Store ;)

If you don't want to compete then fine. That's perfectly acceptable because not everyone does.

If you want to compete - quit your bitching and get out there. You're only hurting yourself in the end.

It really isn't any more simple than that.
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

...and yes I will be competing on a non crossbraced canopy against people on crossbraced canopies....

and you knwo what, I will learn something, I will have fun, and I will swoop!!!

The other thing that happens in swoop competitions, is EVERYBODY watches your landings.. studies exactly what you do / not do and can give you feedback on that.. so the "coaching" perspective that was pointed out earlier is very true too.. Even though the other people are competing against you, what I found is they are more than willing to help you out as well. In six jumps I learned more about my approach than I did in the 200 jumps before that.. just because people were watching me and giving me feedback on what I was doing.

Iwan

My first swoop comp was a total embarrasment, and I got very wet. A lot of people laughed at me, and it hurt my feelings, but I was the only dude with 600 hundred jumps competeing. The rest had thousands of jumps. I had a good time none the less. I still compete now, and people still laugh at me. Ask Ian.

Sweet! I think Ill be taking your place next year.
I am planning on changing wings this winter, but only if I can stay current enough. I am currently and will continue to be under a non-x-braced canopy.

I was able to be at two CPC comps this year, and have met lots of excellent swoopers. Im even lucky enough to have one at my DZ.

I dont expect to set any records or wow too many people. I am excited to put what skills I have currently to use to more accurately gage my abilities, that is, after all, the only way Im going to find my weaknesses and better my swoop.

man am I stoked about next year.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865