Swooopa-x

Hockey Stop It !!!

Practice that hockey stop:)You never know when you'll need it!!!:o
Had a great weekend of swooping conditions at our club this weekend (JSC in SA). Pulled off my longest swoop to date B|- 122.5 meters. 5000 ft ASL and HOT so I'm very pleased but here is the thing :

On one jump my set up was short on my base leg:$ so instead of a 270 and swoop I decide to make a 360 and swoop earlier . That should bring me to a stop pretty much in our pro area - I'll be 90 deg to every-one else but they are all down already so i go for it and its in the groove! Coming out at the bottom I know it's a cooker - I give a firm squeeze on the rears and yehaaaa-its all good!!!!! she goes! and goes! ......and goes...... and yup, she goes some more!:ph34r:
Now, all this is a good thing -nay, a great thing... were it not for the multitude of beer drinking wuffos standing on the other side of the hedge that is now threatening to drastically cut short one of my better achievements!!!!! :o
Thinking quick is easy if you're on your toes and hey
I wasn't even dragging yet so i figured now was a good time to commit to a "Hockey Stop"( courtesy of The Canopy and Its Pilot [brian germain]) . I got the canopy over nice and agressively and then pitched the nose and -hey presto!!!! I was 90deg and sliding beautifully to the cheers of some lightly sozzled onlookers.;)
It was the most commited save I've had to execute. Yes if I had carved earlier I could have avoided the whole moment and even stood it up so maybe I was caught sleeping:S but damn!!!! the thing just went really far - really fast.
Anyway an awesome experience and I hope a fun story to read. :)Thanx Brian;)
People dont care how much you know until they know how much you care.

That sounds like a good technique. Unfortunately not everyone (including me) owns the book, so you would need to be a bit more descriptive with the details on how you executed it for us to learn from it. So far I'm guessing rear-riser flare.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

hmm, i see it sort of like when you turn your car 90 degrees with a handbrake to a stop.

well if you have too much speed, you can carve the canopy (or maybe do a wingover), first to turn away from the obstacle that's in the way of your original direction, and second, when wing is in a bank it requieres a lot more input to stay aloft (eats whole lot more energy/speed), so it eats your speed in a second.
But don't forget to put your wing above your head (out of bank) and flare to the end before you put your feets on the ground, otherwise it could hurt... :S
"George just lucky i guess!"

I'm using one of the windsocks at our club as an entry gate. it stands about 8ft maybe a little more. We are about to start our first "swoop tour" type competition here in S.A. and we'll be using 10ft gates to start with.

Negative - this is not a rear riser manouevre. Your aim is to bleed off as much speed as possible- as quickly as possible and this is best done with the brakes. Brakes =drag & drag =slow down.
I'm sure there are a number of threads on this forum that will point out in detail how this can be achieved. Its essentially an aggresive carving type move that you slide-out instead of stand-up.
Be carefull to practice up high before trying at deck level - ALSO I recommend everyone reads brians book. Not only is the theory absolutely necessary to understand but he has managed to put things very clearly indeed.
be safe - go slow &
have fun;)