davelepka

Fear and Lothing in canopy selection

Once again, we have some incidents, and some close calls involving lower time jumpers trying to act like higher time jumpers. This applies both to canopy selection as well as what they're trying to do with them. Why is this?

A big contributor is wanting to be cool. Many defend their actions, by saying that they are not concerned with the opinions of others (which they prove by ignoring advice, but thats not exactly the same thing), and that they do what the do purely for the love of swooping (which contradicts their unwillingness to listen to the advice of proven swoopers).

But lets face it, swooping is one of the coolest things you can do on a DZ because even if you do a solo, everyone sees your swoop. Your freefall skills are only witnessed by the few on your skydive, but your landing is the most public statement you can make. Not to mention it's cool as hell to go fast.

So we know that some of the newbies are seeking some acceptence and status on the DZ (even if they won't admit to it). If they were shy, and disliked the attention, they certainly wouldn't put themselves on the swooping stage every load.

So their desire for acceptence leads them to take chances. Their desire to fit in superceeds their desire to survive. This is where is gets scary.

In skydiving your first priority has always got to be watching your ass. Just leaving the plane, you seriously putting it all on the line. Years of eneventful jumps doesn't change the severity of the basic risk you are taking, all without layering on additional risk after additional risk.

My question to these folks is why do you let the fear of being an average performer trump your fear of death or dismemberment? Lets face it, skydivers are a spotty bunch at best. Yeah, there's some nice guys around, and you may meet some geniuinely good folks, but were not talking about the Dali Lamma here. None of these people are worth risking your health or well-being for. (Sorry to everyone)

Why not take control of your fear, and move beyond it. Be a canopy geek. It seems like the antithesis of cool, but it will ultimately lead you down the path you're so eager to travel. Spend your jumps carefully progressing through your skills. Take the time to be the master of each before moving on to the next one. Don't let your canopy choice define you. We all know that you can swoop anything, and most marvel when an accomplished swooper lays one down with a 220 Navigator. Define yourself with your actions. Show the world that you are an ace with accuracy. Teach the old guys how to set it down on a dime everytime. Learn to use a double front approach like a $2 whore (sorry ladies). Up-wind, cross-wind, down-wind. Every time, on target, with style.

Keep this up, and you will find yourself with 700 or 800 jumps, and a foundation of skills that you can count on. You will downsize, and in short order out swoop those with twice your jumps, but little effort in learning the right way.

This swooping is serious business. We all know the #1 danger in skydiving is hitting the ground. Be it with nothing out, a double mal, or botched landing, it's the ground that will hurt you. Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave.

The results of making a mistake at this satge of a skydive are bad. Really bad. A double femur is a serious trauma. If that doesn't kill you, the complications from infection, surgical mishap, or depression related suicide just might. The effects of a mistake are far reaching, well beyond your world of skydiving, and possibly into the rest of your wheelchair bound life.

One final point, I get nothing out posting this. I jump at a DZ where the DZO's are like sharks looking for anyone getting too happy with their canopy before they are ready. Everytime I question that they have maybe gone too far, I remember that we haven't had any incidents of any consequense for a long while. This is not a problem I have to deal with personally. I don't have to see it first hand, but I have in the past, and I have seen the havok it can play on a life.

Think about it folks. Take your time, and you'll get your turn. Rush it, and you may never make it. Do you even have to think about it? What would you want your son to do? Your father? Your mother?

You know, a lot of times I read your posts about canopy piloting and I think you can be a little harsh sometimes (probably warranted due to frustration...), but I think this post is spot-on. It seems lately that I have encoutered so many of these younger jumpers that you are talking about.

On the flip-side of that, I can think of a friend of mine in particular who has been, as you put it, a "canopy geek" and now has around 700 jumps or so and is swooping the piss out of a Velo....much better than some people I know with many more jumps.

Patience will pay off sooner than later....

a "canopy geek" and now has around 700 jumps or so and is swooping the piss out of a Velo....much better than some people I know with many more jumps.

Thats the idea. Even then, 700 on a Velo is pushing it a little. I don't know the guy, but if you figure on a reasonable downsizing progression, with 700 total jumps, how many could he have possibly made on any one in perticular?

It may have worked for that guy, but in general, too many younger jumpers are too focused on the gear, like thats going to make a difference as far as what kind of swooper they will become.

Learning the right way, through experience, will always trump having the right equipment. Again, take a look at any hot swooper, and if they end up on a borrowed rig, with a Sabre2 at 1.5, they'll throw down some sick shit and not think twice about it.

These guys need to lock onto a nice tapered wing, at a safe WL, buy a case or two of Ramen, and spend every dime they have on jumps. Downsizing is expensive, and it takes away from your jump money. Buy a new canopy when the one you have is beat to a pulp, and worth less than the cost of a reline.

Thats the idea. Even then, 700 on a Velo is pushing it a little. I don't know the guy, but if you figure on a reasonable downsizing progression, with 700 total jumps, how many could he have possibly made on any one in perticular?

Well he just got the Velo, and I do agree that in general that may have been a bit early to get on one, but he took a very focused approach to canopy flight. He put 300 jumps on Sabre2 170 loaded at 1.1 and dialed it in fairly well. Did another 200 jumps on Stiletto's (150-135). He then got on a Katana for another 200 jumps. He regularly did altitiude hop'n'pops, got coaching on a regular basis, and did his "homework".

If he wasn't interested in competing he would still be on the Katana, but the Velocity is better wing for competitive swooping. Plus, the transition from a Katana to a Velo isn't that big assuming similiar loading.

My point is that he wasn't in rush to downsize right out of the gate like I'm seeing more and more lately. He spent the initial learning time into canopy flying and HP piloting at a conservative range. While he is still learning, as we all are, he is a very competent pilot considering his jump numbers. He can consistently put it through 5 foot gates, 12 feet apart.

Learning the right way, through experience, will always trump having the right equipment. Again, take a look at any hot swooper, and if they end up on a borrowed rig, with a Sabre2 at 1.5, they'll throw down some sick shit and not think twice about it.

True dat!

You know some focus on RW, some freefly, and some (very few) on HP canopy work, and i think it's this focus and goal setting that truely develops a persons skill and growth. Pilots, and everyone else, need goals and a progression, those that don't have them will either not progress as fast as they like, or they'll fuck themselves up royally, which seems to be the trend. it's those low-jump numbered people that say "hey he only has 300 more jumps than me and he's on a velo pulling that sick shit, that means i can do this." but they don't realize how much research, study time, JUMPS, and actual time, it takes to achieve the skill level they see.
My best advice for new canopy pilots is this: set specific goals for each canopy, DO NOT set time frames cause then you'll start adding unneeded stress to an already stressful event.
Research is the next step. start doing research by looking on these forums and asking KNOWLEDGABLE people around your dz questions about anything and everything, BUT take everything with a grain of salt.
Next is jumps. you have to stay current in this area of the sport, however just don't jump out and not think about your progression, have a set plan for that jump or day of jumps. Do hopNpops, do full alti loads, do canopy runs. start trying stuff at safe altitudes, ie above cutaway hieght.
Lastly, keep things fun while you're doing it, because that's why we're all here right?

these idea's are just my .02, however they have worked for me and continue to work for me. ;)
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

these idea's are just my .02, however they have worked for me and continue to work for me.

That did work for me as well.
Just one thing more, 700 jumps in RW or FF can do result in a good freefall dude, 700 in canopy is not always enough to gain skills to swoop.

A FreeFly Gypsy

Brian, I'm replying to you, but I'm quoting Dave.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the Criminol (I haven't seen you guys lately?) and I would agree with your assumption of his skill, he is impressive for his jump numbers, hell I have nearly 4 times as many jumps as him and would concede that he is a much better swooper than I am. In a heartbeat.

But this in and of itself brings up an interesting question, and phenomanon that I have started to notice. There is a slightly new breed of skydiver out there, one who isn't limited by money or access to turbine aircraft. And what you get is a guy with a year or a year and a half in the sport +-1000 jumps, who performs EXCEEDINGLY well under canopy, but through lack of experience, and by experience I mean, bearing wittness to life as a skydiver. Who goes big, really big and takes a lot of chances, born of confidence in his skill. Which is a good thing, however in my first few years skydiving all those incident reports were just stories in magazines or that I heard over beers at night.

only in these last few years, i have been the first on the scene to three major bone breaks, all on guys with around 1000 jumps, and just this year I had two friends die, one with over 6000 jumps and one with more than 1000, both very experienced and very currrent, both lost to misjudgements under canopies, one landing. It has only throgh time in sport and these rough lessons that I personally have become more cautious, I remember when I had 500 jumps and was invincible. The thing is that I believe that you can't substitute fast jump numbers and coaching for experience.

However trying to empress this on jumpers, I feel like I'm on the reverse end of one of my dads lectures.

I was talking about it with a friend of mine who runs a DZ in Australia last week, and she was suggesting that we make a video of all the compound fractures and deaths that we have video and force people to watch it at the 100 jump level, a la "blood on the highway" from drivers ed. I don't know if that is the best idea ever, but all of these people get busted up and die and very few lessons are ever learned from it.

(and the funny thing is I sit here preaching,but I'm running off to the DZ to jump a 90 square foot prototype that is probibly going to kill me)

When are you and the Crimminator coming back to Trampa?

A
"Those who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it"

some focus on RW, some freefly, and some (very few) on HP canopy work,

Theres a key difference between those three choices. RW and freefly are exclusive of each other (for the most part). On a given jump, you are doing one or the other. While every jump you make is an oppertunity to improve your canopy control skills.

If jumpers would see this, they could esentially have two separate events per jump.

The freefall, with a dive flow of some sort, and oppertunities to learn, and the canopy ride with it's own learning objectives.

It seems that too often jumpers will be so focused on the freefall, that they feel like deployment is the 'end' of their skydive. Sure, they have to navigate and land, but for the most part, the focus and direction they apply to their freefall performance disappears when the slider comes down.

It true that a jumper who does high alt. hop n pops will have even more learning oppertunities, but the goals that those individual pilots have are higher than most, and the extra canopy time is required for reaching their performance expectations. Just by being smart, and using your time wisely, you can develop into a fantastic canopy pilot even if you open at 3000 ft on every single jump.

I was talking about it with a friend of mine who runs a DZ in Australia last week, and she was suggesting that we make a video of all the compound fractures and deaths that we have video and force people to watch it at the 100 jump level

I think that's a great idea. After all, in order to be a tandem master, you have to watch that sidespin video.... Why? Sometimes people need to see the not so glamerous side of things.:(

There's a video (FoxSports I think?) of a guy who hooks in and breaks several bones, including his back. I hooked in almost a year ago, and seeing that sight picture makes me sick to my stomach to this day - I watch it occassionally to try and keep myself modest. :|

I'd like to suggest that you don't just include HP canopy accidents. Some good gruesome video of people flying 1.2:1 loaded canopies into the dirt would dispel the 'but he's flying a HP canopy, that won't happen to me' way of thinking.

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

and she was suggesting that we make a video of all the compound fractures and deaths that we have video and force people to watch it at the 100 jump level, a la "blood on the highway" from drivers ed.

Be sure to include the sound(s). The sound of the jumper hitting the dirt, the sound of the jumping crying from the pain, and the sounds from the croud that witnessed the accident. Very powerful in my opinion.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

There is something about the 500-1000 range.Confident enough in the basic skills but"More often than not" lacking sound judgement.Being able to hold "Oneself Back" is a sign of maturity and experience.Sometimes you just have to give in to the youth and say "Let's see you in 30 yrs with no hospital visits"?Humm,take chances pay the price!rob.

Be sure to include the sound(s).

Yeah, good point. Don't think music or narration is appropriate... Maybe just a text intro prior to each clip, describing the person's experience and equipment, dissolve to clip, then fade to a black screen, where text describes the injuries, or worst case, 'survived by wife, brother, sister, etc...' for added effect.:( Just ideas anyway...

There are quite a few talented video people out there. Who's gonna get the ball rolling on this little project???

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!