extreme

Gear through winter period?

Hi,

Can please somebody tell me what is the best way to preserve my gear through wintertime when there is no skydiving for app. 3 or 4 months? Should I leave main and reserve packed in the container? Should I take main and reserve out of the container? If out of container, where is the best place for my gear to store it in? Is some cleaning recommended? Thks in advance

I recommend opening the main and reserve and putting everything in a large plastic garbage bag. Keep everything connected. Be careful not to store anything on top of the bag, because of the reserve spring and possibly the AAD. When the season opens again, just take the whole bag to your rigger.

Hook

I would recommend to pop the reserve. It's gonna need a repack when you get things started again in the spring anyway right?
This is the advice that I got from my rigger.
I had to leave the US for about six months, and I couldn't take my gear with me, so I popped everything, disconnected my main (placed in a bag in cool dry place. My closet worked best to keep pets and others from handling it.), and put the reserve and container in a different bag in the same closet.
I guess the best advice is ask your rigger how he would like to get it when you get ready to go. Some riggers may not want you to pop it.

All of the advice is good. And most of it is what I would tell a customer. But, the reality is I almost never open any of mine up for winter storage. If I didn't pack after the last jump the main will be open in my gear bag. And most of my customers keep one rig in date (or at least packed) for winter trips and 50 degree F days.;) If you store it packed in a moderate temperature place protected from abuse it should be fine. If you do open it, make sure you keep track of all the parts, including the safety stow from the reserve free bag. Be carefull in handling the components. Don't bend the spring or snag the canopy. It's best to store in a cloth bag so moisture isn't trapped, but again the practical reality is most people use a plastic bag. Make sure your "closet" doesn't have any furry rodent friend visiting. I usually store canopies and rigs in plastic totes or garbage cans (unused for garbage) to protect from pests (and my cat).

Terry

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Never never never pop you reserve unless you are with your rigger. Imagine the pain and suffering you would go through if your reserve was opened and a jump came up. You would miss out and seriously be questioning your reasons. Have faith in your gear, get a repack when practicle and jump when you can because currency is better than a repack. OK bring it on. By they way anyone want to sign my reserve repack card.