AggieDave

Left vs right, a theory on approaches

I work very hard not to be accustomed to one pattern over the other. If I land to the South at my dropzone and I do a 270, I always do a left hand turn. If I go to the North I always do a right hand turn. This provides me the most outs. Obviously, if I don't have enough altitude to complete the turn going that direction then I either don't make the full turn, or I don't do a front riser turn at all.

If I'm doing a 180, my turns are the same still due to my obstacles. I think that being comfortable making different turns in similar situations provides you with more options and also keeps you from doing bad habits in dangerous situations.

I am right handed and left eye dominate. I shoot rifles right handed right eyed and pistols right handed left eyed. I do practice left handed as well.

I feel more comfortable with left side exit aircraft and seem to have better exits.

As far as approaches go, i choose my them, R or L, according to the wind direction which determine my holding area. I choose the approach will keep me farther away from the runways on final.

I think it is a good idea to practice both as you may be faced with a poor landing area and may have to choose the one you are not used to. The things we practice come more naturally in emegency situations.

Arch, Look, Grab, Look, Pull, Pull!

This is how I was taught.

"You did what?!?!"

MUFF #3722, TDSM #72, Orfun #26, Nachos Rodriguez

I am right handed and prefer left handed approaches for 2 reasons.
1- That's the landing pattern to go by in a crowded sky.
2 riding motorcycle since 4, I have that "left turn power slide " feeling on a more natural "feel".

Let me just tell you all how freakin' bad I am screwed up:

Write: Left
Throw: right
Pistol: Right
Rifle: Left
Kick: Left
Bat: Left or Right
ChalkBoard: Write with left until center, then switch to right!
Bowl: Right
Landing Pattern: RIGHT-handed 270!! Can't time a left handed pattern to save my life!!! LITERALLY!!!
Unknowing attempting to take out all 4 wheeled vehicles remotely close to the landing area!