SlatonAirSports

New competition circuit...

I am finishing up a large project to put together my newest competition circuit in the US. It will envolve state/region districts that will run local competitions and generate new pilots with a circuit championships at the end of the year. If you are dedicated to canopy piloting, have organizational skills and are intrested in running a district of the circuit in your state please contact me. You need to be dedicated to the core. See ya...Jim Slaton

CanopyPiloting.com (W/Forum)

And what of the PST, Jim? Do you mean that I am now going to have to join a fourth entity? ECPA, PPPB, PST, now this new thing? Is this the same thing that Sonic drafted last year? If not, are you talking about going against his plan? Ultimately, like we were all talking about at nationals, I feel that successful qualification and competition in any new sanctioned league ought to qualify you for the PST or any USPA event. Dave Wall and I had even discussed a Carolina league last year for getting people the experience they needed to compete in the larger events. In my opinion, so long as everyone running these leagues maintains a base-level criteria for qualification, then they should all be recognized.

Chuck

Slow down Jedi knight...this is what you have been waiting for. It will be a few more weeks before the press release and structure of the new circuit comes out but you should know I have been thinking about it since 1999 and working on it since last year. There is a difference between knowing the way and walking it. I'm here for guys...Jim

CanopyPiloting.com (W/Forum)

*** "to put together my newest competition circuit"

Frankly, I think what Chris hayes is doing in Florida should be the new template for a National's Qualification canopy flight circuit. It has proven it's self, is low stress, and is would not be "owned" by anyone. It should be like any other discipline sanctioned by USPA, for the jumpers and by the jumpers.

There were many good things about PST, but also a couple major things I didn't like. First and foremost was the sudden release of the "Freestyle Posse" (freestyle rounds) early in 2004, only a few months before the first comp. However, it was very apparent that many of the sponsored pro teams had been practicing these moves all winter, mabye before, but clearly had inside info that Freestyle was coming. As if these guys needed an additional competitive edge over weekend worriors like me.

The last thing swooping needs is another "owned" comp circuit. Let the USPA sanction it, let the people run it, but let them run it for themselves, and then every swooper will have a FAIR shot at going to nationals.

If the Pro Tour was ever going to be televised or make any money, (just like skysurfing didn't), it would have happened by now. There just isn't enough viewership, and there never will. John Q Public could care less about skyjumpers. That being said, keep up the good work with PST, as it seems to be a good vehicle for you, and the other 15 or 20 sponsored pro swoopers. But leave the Nationals circuit to those who are interested in fair playing fields and good natured swoop competition, for the good of all. Its tough enough for swoopers to get started competing.