cielo

Best riser pressure on a lightly loaded canopy?

Loading at 1.1 to 1.2 what are some canopies that will not have too heavy riser pressure? Please compare to Stiletto. How is the Heatwave's riser pressure? Jedei? Looking for something that can be found used. Also comment on recovery arc if you can.

Thx.

I'm guessing that you are talking about front riser pressure. You can decrease the front riser pressure on a canopy by add a bit a brakes before pulling down on the riser. Play with this up high - try holding in brakes for 3 seconds and pull down on a riser. Then try 5 seconds, then 10 - vary how deep you are in brakes but be careful of stalling the canopy if you go too deep.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

Hello NeedToJump,

Not trying to hijack your thread Cielo, but my canopy seems to require quite a bit of front riser pressure to get results. I find NeedToJump's suggestion interesting.

So if you use a bit of brakes then go to front risers how will this affect canopy speed as compared to using fronts only on approach? Will this style affect the sink rate differently as well?

Jeff

There have been posts comparing using front risers from full flight or from braked flight. Basically if you go into brakes you are losing both forward and downward speed. If you go to front risers after letting up from braked flight you will have to use more front risers (or hold them longer) to get the canopy to go the same speed as if you just went to front risers from full glide.

My same suggestion for Cielo applies - try various thing up high. Play around with using your front risers from varying amounts of brakes, see what feels like it's giving you the results you desire.

There is a tremendous amount of control range on all inputs and combinations of inputs. Experiment with as many of them as you can think of to see how the canopy reacts. If you are ever in doubt of what may happen then ask someone first. At your stage (62 jumps) you should go out to the dz and talk to experienced jumpers before trying anything new that you read online.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

At your stage (62 jumps) you should go out to the dz and talk to experienced jumpers before trying anything new that you read online.

I always do. ;) But, while I am trying to hide from work during the week :D, I have found DZ.com a great place to get ideas from.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Jeff

Cobalts have light riser pressure.

Also you may be able to find used Alphas or Spaces or vipers which are very similar parachutes, all have very light front riser pressure compared to a stilleto.

Good luck

Ramon
"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

Love my Nitro 120. but Im loaded at 1.6. but Ive also flown the 135, and 150. Neither of which Id jump regularly if I had the choice, but found the riser(fronts) inputs to be pretty consistat at light to moderate.
just my .02
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865