georgechurchill

180 or 270 Which is better

Hello all, I was just reading another thread that went off on a tangent, so I thought I would post this as a seperate thread to see what people's views were.

270 or 180 ??

This is my opinion. I'm no expert. I jump a Sabre 120 weight 150 pounds have 1100 skydives maybe 800 hook turns.

To me a 270 is better every time.

Why

1) Set up speed is slower, your not traveliing downwind.

2)You give yourself extra altitude for the extra 90 degrees, which means you have more bail out alititude and more time to judge the turn

3)You don't set up with your back to the landing pattern, givng you more oppertunity to sport traffic.

4)270's tend to be more of a judged approach, more of a carving turn. You can change the angle of attack as attlitude requires. Rather than just winging it over for the 180 which is totaly commited. Which many people do.

What do you think ??
http://georgechurchill.blogspot.com

What do you think ??

i think your profile Here doesn't even match your jump numbers, unless you've done 600 jumps since July of this year. but with <1100 skydives you should have all of this figured out! ;)
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

I think this subject is pretty debated to death, but I can tell you that I do a 270 almost every single time for basically the same reasons you listed, as do the majority of other competitors. I used to split evenly between 180's and 270's a couple of years ago, but an old neck injury makes it such that I have an easier time surveying the swoop lane from the perpendicular 270 setup.

Chuck

What do you think ??

i think your profile Here doesn't even match your jump numbers, unless you've done 600 jumps since July of this year. but with <1100 skydives you should have all of this figured out! ;)

You are absolutely obsessed with profiles and jump numbers aren't you? It must be some sort of fetish or something.

Hi, rgoper. I work at Skydive Sebastian during the winters. An average season would be 600 / 700 jumps. Don't even know when I did my profile on dropzone.com, not to concerned about it really. Anyway it's updated now.

Any comments on 180 /or 270.

I think I have it figured, 270 every time, like I said in my first post.

Just wondering what other people thought.

Thanks
George
http://georgechurchill.blogspot.com

I've recently got back from the world cup at Perris. I think i was about the only person in Ultra doing 180's! As the wind started to pick up i found it more difficult to hit the gates. I ended up 50th out of 51! I'm definately switching to 270's before i do another competition for the reasons you mention.
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

Yes i was on the GB team.
Chris came 18th with 2 personal bests in distance. No XL guys were there.
Some people were doing 360s. They seem to almost fly a classic accuracy approach to their set up point then do a 360.
Jay Moledski was doing 450's, i suppose its the same theory as doing a 270 with the perpendicular approach.
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk