Unutsch

COBALT with closed end cells?!?

I saw a Cobalt prototype, built in 2002, that had the last 2 cells on each side of the canopy completely closed (the same way as r.a.g.e. has)... will someone please tell me if it is going to be sold to us, normal users, or is it just a prototype?

from what i saw from the ground, and what i heard from Jaka, the team leader of Slovenian national RW team Hudièki http://www.padalskiklub-andromeda.si/, who flew it, it has even nicer openings as the normal or even comp. cobalt...

edit: spelling

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

will someone please tell me if it is going to be sold to us, normal users, or is it just a prototype?

since you inquired, yes they are selling them to the normal users like that. i had one, it was the most unpredictable, missbehaved canopy i've ever flown.it's a bad deal when the scariest part of your sky dive is deployment time. mine was a 170^2, loaded at 1.45:1, 35 jumps and i sent it back, the rest........later.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

We are currently testing the onyx and comp cobalt with fully closed end cells and we may offer it as standard in the future.

Sincerely,

Dan<><>
Atair Aerodynamics
www.extremefly.com
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

We are currently testing the onyx and comp cobalt with fully closed end cells and we may offer it as standard in the future.

Dan:

whatever the stratedgy or motivation was for this remark, i hope it yields positive revenues for Atair sport canopy sales. i call BS on your remark. given your position at Atair, it is perplexing and interesting you would even concieve making a remark like this in a public sky dive forum, regardless of motivation.
--Richard--

I'm not sure why you would have anything to say about the remark.. all that Dan said is they are testing some modifications to the Cobalt and if they are well recieved they may be options in the future.

The concept of fully closed cells both intrigues me and scares me. It seems like it would be great for maintaining a better airfoil shape, expecially in the nose, but it scares me in that if you do have an end cell collapse the internal pressure of hte canopy is the only thing that can reinflate the canopy. To generate the increase in the internal pressure that means you need to have forward speed or alter the AOA of the nose to force more air into the canopy through the limited open nose cells. That does'nt seem like the best thing to be doing with a partial canopy over your head...
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

his post struck me as satireacle and sarcastic. who would be intentionally marketing a canopy with the end cells designed to be closed?

when i had my Cobalt 170^2 and i'd deploy, if the end cells were closed (which they generally were, one or both sides) a deep flare was the only way to reinflate it that i found. this not only took the fun out of canopy flight, it takes away from canopy awareness as well, this bothered me more than anything else. again, i am referring to the 170^2 Cobalt canopy, not any of the others as i have no experience with them. i think Atair has come to grips with the fact that the 170^2 had opening issues, it should never have been marketed in my opinion. i will say that i wasn't loading the canopy enough for it to be effecient. people can cry foul all they want, the Cobalt does fly "bigger" hell, when the thing did deploy correctly i've never flown a better canopy, until i bought my HeatWave 170^2, no issues yet.
--Richard--

Sincerely,

Dan<><>
Atair Aerodynamics
www.extremefly.com

-Grant
p.s. now I'm staring at the calender("6-8 weeks" right?) B|