listo

Pond Swooping Techniques?

I have limited experience swooping over water. I would like to hear some views on this from people who actually have experience doing it.

What are some of the dangers of this?

Please leave speculative posts out of this for right now unless you are an experienced pond swooper.

Thanks,
Listo

well, i'm not as experience as most, but i've swoops ponds a few times.

and what i can tell you right now (i had to learn this the hard way) don't stick just 1 foot in too far. let me explain, i stuck my left foot in about 4 or 5 inches, really fast (i was going over the water, and just jabbed my foot down). you will do cartwheels. trust me. ask jeff mullins, he saw everything at rantoul.

but, the way i do it, usually, i come over the water, and i kinda let my foot slide in slowly, and when it is in the water, i kinda let it slide back, under me. or, i do basically the same thing but with both feet, not a dead man, but just draging both, knees bent.

later

What are some of the dangers of this?

One danger I see right away is that of attitude. Water will not necessarily save your ass. Having a proper pond (3-4 feet deep) will fequently change the outcome of a misjudged landing that might have produced bumps and bruises, possibly a broken bone, and turn that landing into just an embarising situation. HOWEVER if you were going to BOUNCE hard on land, you will probably do so over water. Water is amazingly hard at 30+mph.

Other dangers include the tendency for newer pond swoopers to fixate on the water. Bad Juju. Also when dropping that toe into the drink, watch out how deep you go, it can end your nice swoop quickly. Watch out for the transition from water to land, you can injure your foot, or twist tear ligaments in your leg. Realize the dragging in the H2O is going to rapidly bleed speed off of your swoop, requiring more toggle use to get out, don't come up short because someone always has a camera!

Have a safe one, and if you haven't got wet yet, it's just a matter of time.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The major thing you lose over water is depth perception; especially over ponds with no other altitude references such as trees, etc. The pond at Perris is especially hard to judge and requires a lot of practice.

People who throw their turn at a specific altitude tend to adapt better than those who only use visual references. If you haven't already done so, find out what your turn-in altitude is. I generally wear my altimeter on the inside of my wrist while I am under canopy so that I can read it during my turn. PM me for my phone number and I can tell you all that you want. I am far too behind on my forums to type any lengthier a response right now.

Chuck

Chuck

ask jeff mullins, he saw everything at rantoul.

I saw it too ;) IT was impressive!! :)
Pond swooping is FUN AS HELL!!! I am addicted now!!! Wherever I jump if there is a pond I am there.. lol

I generally wear my altimeter on the inside of my wrist while I am under canopy so that I can read it during my turn.

I'm glad I am not the only person that does this :)
Rhino

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ask jeff mullins, he saw everything at rantoul.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw it too IT was impressive!!

wow, i didn't realize anyone else was there :$. i new some guys came up in a truck to get me back to martini shot. but i didn't realize that anyone else saw it.

i know all the camera guys at martini shot were mad at me because i didn't tell them i was going to be swooping the pond that early in the morning. and my response was F*$@ off, i wasn't planning on eating shit.
:P

later

My eyes stayed on that pond when I wasn't in the air swooping over it myself.. Tent was not far away either

well, you wouldn't happen to of video'd it would ya??

and were you getting your rig packed by packin kathy's tent on the west side (the smaller one. because there was some guy that was talking about it later that day. maybe it was you.

later

If you have a body of water you can land by , start practicing landing by the bodyof water, but concentrate on turning at your correct altitutde.

Once you have your turn zone dialed in, try a gradual slow turn over the water, with the intent of landing in the shallow water. This is to get a feel for what the water is like. Hopefully you will land standing up in knee deep water but you might surf a few feet on the soles of your shoes before you sink.

then one day when you are really on the ball and in the righ turn area try a harder turn.

Don't try to dip your toe in as you might put too much foot, rater try to keep both feet flat and sort of water ski your surf. After you have some adventures doing that and feel comfortable over the water you can try other things..

bloo skies

r
"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

ha ha ha.

Weather was too iffy for me to drive to Atlanta.

Did you go to Z hills?

I am going to do the Red bull blade raid next weekend though. heh heh

Hope things are well chucky!

ramon
"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.