Seagull

Progessive Swooping

Question

Progessing on swooping, Have down sized, on every down size have added wieght's to increase wing loading , untill next canopy size becomes apperant
(speed and distance and carving performance are at the best for that canopy)
Now I want to Know the better of the two "hook or Carve"
And Why , they might be better performed after a good corkscew to increase speed.
B|B|
Be Kind to White Pionter's,Killer Whale's, and Tiger's
If you play in there envroment,
Your Fair Game.

Actually... you should have already learned the best for your flying style and canopy before you started loading it up or downsizing.

Different canopies like different things. And it even depends on wingloading levels whats best.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Carving tends to produce the best results. Carving being one long diving arc to the ground. The reason being that the most efficient use of momentum is to alter the canopy's natural glide path as little as possible thru the landing and the dive.

Smoothly generating and controling momentum is the key to getting good swoops. Every 'corrective' piloting input to change heading trades some momentum for heading adjustment.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

I like to call my approach a "carving hook turn." There's a very fuzzy line between hook turns and carving approaches. Most of the top competitors I've seen use more of a carving approach than a quick turn.

Either way, at the bottom end of the recovery arc (as you approach ground level) the canopy should return to straight and level flight on its own for best swooping results.

Carving is the best for 1. increasing speed; 2. it's easier to bail out of if need be; and 3. it's a smoother transition (have you ever watched a canopy swooping competition?). Snapping turns may look cool and all, but with small canopies highly wing loaded, the radical snapping turn just doesn't look that safe. i like to sit and watch canopy pilots and see the smoothest flier and try to imply that in my flying.
missy
---
Missy Nelson
**Learning Never Stops**