freeflir29

Recovery Arc????? Again.....

OK...some swooping god or physics guru please explain this to me. It was a bit cooler than it has been since spring this past weekend. Maybe around 60F when it has been in the 80's or so. Well...here's the thought that goes through my head. Thicker air because it's cooler makes for a SHORTER recovery arc. Somehow, it was just the opposite. I know this wasn't just MY perception because I saw A LOT of people digging out over the weekend. I know it wasn't until after my 3rd jump that I had it dialed back in. I'm thinking maybe it was less heat coming off the ground but I'm just not sure. Any ideas?

80F to 60F is less than 4% variation in density. Can easily be insignificant once mixed with all the other objective and subjective factors affecting your perception of the recovery arc.

I know this wasn't just MY perception because I saw A LOT of people digging out over the weekend.

If it's not your perception, maybe it's because you guys swoop at relativistic speed which can significantly modify the implications of the ideal gas law... or maybe 1) you notice more easily people digging out when you want to convince yourself that it's not just you 2) your perception is affected the same way as other people's

--
Come

Hmm, as previous writer stated, the change in density is quite marginal. You wrote :
---------------------------------------------
"I know it wasn't until after my 3rd jump that I had it dialed back in."
---------------------------------------------
Not to blame you on anything but could it be that you were just a notch off or having a "bad swoop day". It happens to everyone sometimes and then you just have to accept it and say to yourself : "this is not my day". In those days, I know it, you tend to look harder on other people and concentrate on finding faults in their approaches, just to point out that other people make mistakes too. Human mind is an interesting thing and works in mysteriuos ways...
http://www.ufufreefly.com

Not to blame you on anything but could it be that you were just a notch off or having a "bad swoop day".

I also talked with several other people including one of the DZO's that didn't jump that day (Probably has 1500 jumps or more) but had been watching landings. They all saw and or experienced a lot of digging out. I'm thinking maybe it was the lack of heat coming off the ground that may have affected things a bit.

hi
here is a possible answer that fits both side of the issue

the denser air affects all aspects of canopy flight , not just the swoop.

so there you are intiating a turn that rotates slightly faster. the drag created on the turning side is slightly greater, say by 4%, ;), and the lift generated on the other side is 4% greater. this should result in a slightly faster bank in to the turn or translated more turn for your buck.

Mind you of course then the denser air should also provide a faster recovery:P.

I thereby contradict my self

hutch
base 140
(or is it 141, I forget)

What exactly were you "dialing back in"? Timing the flare? Judging when/ where to turn in?

I think it's lemmings. This weekend myself and another swooper landed first and went crosswind. Excellent swoops. Everyone else followed our landing pattern even though we told them not to. Duh. Point being that sometimes people 'mimic the leader' and suddenly everyone is making the same mistakes.

c'est la vie.
Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

What exactly were you "dialing back in"? Timing the flare? Judging when/ where to turn in?

Where I let up on the riser and let the canopy dive/start to recover. Also the timing of when I put the brakes out to make it glide flat. I like to start high with a small amount of input so I cause the least amount of drag.