grasshopper

altitude and distance

lately I have been jumping many different dz's with different altitudes, and, as expected, my swoops are different at various places. of course they are faster at higher altitudes, and at higher temperatures, but that leads into my question. which leads to longer distances for swoops, high or low density altitudes? the faster landings don't seem to give me more distance, but the slower landings seem to take more time before I put my feet down.

the faster landings don't seem to give me more distance, but the slower landings seem to take more time before I put my feet down.

This may just be a function of perception as opposed to reality.

In theory, at high density-altitudes (thinner air) you should have more kinetic energy available at the start of your swoop (let's call it 5 ft AGL). To create the same amount of lift (level out and not whack into the ground) the wing will -have- to be moving through the air faster as well. Lastly, your parasitic drag will also increase, but the upshot is that you'll have a larger increase in kinetic energy than an increase drag -- so, in theory at least, you -should- be able to go slightly farther. By slightly, I mean you -may- be able to squeeze out an additional 2 percent of distance per 1,000 foot increase in density-altitude.

More info on density-altitude HERE.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

high density-altitudes (thinner air)

High density would be thicker air, no? higher altitude gives you lower density, therefore lower altitude would give you thicker, or higher density air.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

High density would be thicker air, no?

But we're not talking about high density, we're talking about "high density-altitude".

This is a standard aviation and weather term so don't blame me, but think of it this way; the word "high" modifies the compound word "density-altitude". Much like if I said red tennis-shoes, they wouldn't be shoes in which you'd play "red tennis", but rather red shoes for playing tennis. It's the "density-altitude" you'd have if you were "high" -- so thinner air is correct. Make sense? No? Well, you'd be surprised how many student pilots it also confuses. ;)

Again, I refer you to my web page on the topic for a more complete description of the term. See; http://www.futurecam.com/densityAltitude.html
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver