PaulHitchman

Heatwave canopy/rig complex...

Point of view...

Got a Mirage with a Parachute de France Electra 170 sqft canopy and a 155 Techno reserve. Got 270 jumps, been offered a 150 sqft Heatwave. Anything any smaller would mean a change of conatiner. But then I'm wondering is a 150 sqft too cumbersome for an eliptical canopy.

What would you do?

Deja vu...

I thought I answered this question already? I have a Heatwave 170 and love it, too cumbersome would be a PD 266 F-111 canopy. (maybe not too cumbersome, just not as much fun to fly as my Heatwave).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Ok, then it wasn't the lack of sleep getting to me...:)

The Heatwave is a fun canopy, flies a lot like a PD Stilletto, although it has a longer control range, its not as twitchy and it has a longer recovery arc. The openings are great, just barely (barely) tuck the nose I've had to fight to find the bottom end of the flare. Have fun.

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm doing camera work for a 4-way team and until I tried a Sabre2 I'd only jumped with the Electra. I've had some SLAMMER openings on the Electra. Now I pack it rolling everything but the first sight is usually my slider licking my face. Liked the Sabre openings although I wondered about it's hesitation.

P

I jump a Heatwave 150 loaded at about 1.33. I really like it. Great openings, very responsive, nice surf good all around canopy. I don't think there's anything wrong with the 150 if your not ready to load an elliptical any heavier at this time. I have jumped the Heatwave loaded up to 1.45 and it is a different animal at that wing loading, a lot faster. but I still enjoy mine at the modest 1.3 wing loading.

tested the canopy on Saturday. Made four jumps. The first opening was excellent straight and soft. The second made a 360 left then straight the third was normal then jump four had two right tunnels collapsed. Tried to open the canopy with rear risers but failed so I collpased the slider whilst turning and pumped it open. Found the canopy at wing load 1.33 responsive and comfortable. Couldn't believe how stable it was. Positivley suprised.